Stopping Prometrium Right After BFP?

second.time

Reaction score
I'm currently CD24, 10 DPO, and I saw my first positive two days ago. Yay! Lines are darkening, things are looking good. This was my first cycle using Prometrium to address short cycles and short luteal phases. I've been taking 200 mg. each evening since 2 DPO, and it's been great -- no real side effects except for slight drowsiness.

I called my GP, which I now regret, because she told me to stop taking it. I've never heard of stopping Prometrium so early. Most women seem to take it until 10 or 12 weeks. Obviously, I'm panicking about causing a progesterone drop. That's the last thing I want to do right now, especially considering that I've had two chemical pregnancies in the past.

Has anyone ever heard of stopping Prometrium so early and so abruptly? Not even weaning off? I hate how panicky this had made me.

I haven't heard of stopping so early, but I guess it depends on the reason you are taking it. I was on it until 12 weeks. My OB said there was no reason to taper, but I did anyway. Honestly, if it were me, I'd keep taking it. There's no harm in continuing, and I'd be too scared to stop until I was sure the placenta had taken over producing progesterone which happens around week 10. Good luck and congratulations!

I haven't heard of stopping so early, but I guess it depends on the reason you are taking it. I was on it until 12 weeks. My OB said there was no reason to taper, but I did anyway. Honestly, if it were me, I'd keep taking it. There's no harm in continuing, and I'd be too scared to stop until I was sure the placenta had taken over producing progesterone which happens around week 10. Good luck and congratulations!

I'm really hoping to continue taking it. The problem is I only have 22 pills left now. She did include two refills but I'm nervous she's cancelled them. I'll probably go get one this evening just for peace of mind. I truly don't understand why she's so adamant that I can't take it ... I'm not having side effects, there aren't many risks that I know of, and I've practically been in tears trying to explain why I'd like to take it. So many docs seem to prescribe it just as a precaution.

Well, update, the OB-GYN's office said I could continue taking it at least until my first appointment with them! The appointment is still three weeks away (sigh). So that's a relief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->