storing milk, is this ok?

Tryingfora4th

Reaction score
I pumped 6oz yesterday am then poured it into a sterilised CTN bottle with the teat and lid on (the avent bottles I have arent BPA free so I figure the risk is less if the milk's only in contact with it for a wee while)

Its at the back of the top shelf of my fridge, will it be ok to use tomorrow afternoon? That would mean it'd been in the fridge for a little over 48 hours :shrug: Or does it need to be in a bottle with a sealing disk type thing?

I dont really get how its not ok to use a bottle that was sterilised over 24 hours ago but its ok to keep milk in the fridge for up to 5 days. I'm easily confused!!

i'm not 100% sure but i would use it :) someone who's more exp in the pumping side will know :) iv'e pumped like a hand full of times out of pure laziness and lack of time:haha: x

oh no not the bottle but the milk:) that's what i would do lol use the milk but only as storage i would sterilze another bottle x

I think thats whats confusing me, how come its ok to use the milk but not the bottle its been in?

i don't know:haha::haha: i think prob cause the bottle probably holds bacteria :shrug::haha: or something :haha: x this is why i cant be arsed:haha: x

It's perfectly fine to use. In fact, with bm, you don't have to sterilize the bottles if you don't want to (that's the guidelines here anyhow). Breast milk is sterile (unlike formula) which is why it's ok at room temperature for up to 8 hours and ok in the fridge for up to 6 days. I regularly have milk in the fridge for a few days with the nipple on the bottle and Clara's never had tummy issues from it. Just make sure you have a lid over the nipple to keep it from getting contaminated.

Yep, I concur! I often make a couple of days bottles up with just breastmilk, keep them at the back of the fridge and then use them as I go. I've never had any probs, as I'd read breastmilk is sterile.

x

yep breastmilk is sterile, i kept it in the plastic storage pots or a bottle with a lid on in the fridge for the next day and just poured it into a new bottle to feed.
i used to steralise the pump after every use, until i read that you dont need to. you dont need to be so strict with sterilising like you do with formula

wow thanks!!! i only wish i'd known months ago:dohh: maybe she would now take a bottle:haha: by the time i sterilized the bottle etc and got rd to pumping it was feeding time again:dohh: so i never bothered:haha: man i should of asked:dohh::haha: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->