Strange 5 week ultrasound

TTC First

Reaction score
I am trying not to freak out, hoping that someone has gone through the same thing.

I did an IUI with 3 follicles (1.6, 2, 2.1) and got my BFP. I did my Beta and got a 53 hour turn around time. I went for my u/s today at 5w1d. They said that it was a little early but did it any way. They normally do the internal u/s then the external. This time she did an internal, then before starting the external she said she needs a couple more shots. She did an u/s of my sides below my ribs. I have made it to the 5 week scan many times but never had a can of my sides. Also, usually the tech will show the screen after they finish the ultrasound. This time she did not. She said that it was still early and that they would have me back again. I was so worried.

I saw the doctor after and he was perfectly happy with the ultrasound. He said that it was early and it was not surprising that they didn't see anything. He said that this is typical for a week 5 ultrasound. I asked several times if it was just one in there but he said that they can not tell this early on.

Of course I get home and look online and see "On your 5 weeks pregnant ultrasound, you should be able to see your gestational sac and the yolk sac which is always present when you are 5 weeks pregnant. If you are carrying fraternal twins, you will be able to see the yolk sac as well as the fetal poles in two separate sacs."

Now I don't know what to believe. The doctor said that it was typical but online it says that you can see how many sacs there are.

What are your thoughts?

i think it was just the doctors try not to worry and i hope the next scan comes around fast

I've heard of lots of people not seeing anything at five weeks. I think 7 is when you can expect to see more. Are you having symptoms? I'm sure everything is fine - generally they tell you if they are worried as they don't want it to be a shock if something is wrong. X

thanks ladies.

red_head, I am having some symptoms and I can already feel a small bump. It feels like I'm pregnant but you know how our body can fool us, it always makes me wonder.

I did more reading online and found several other people who were in the same situation so I am not going to worry about it. The doctor said to come back in a week, I booked it for 9 days away. When I go back it will only be 6w 3d so I know that is still a little early.

I think I agree with your doctor, five weeks is really really early. Gestational sac maybe but I'm not sure if you can always see a yolk sac at that stage.

I know I'm not the same as you I am 27 day cycle of a 28 day cycle and yesterday I had a scan would make me 3 weeks 5 days if I was pregnant I haven't had a bfp but I was hoping they may have seen something but no then I went on to look online and sometimes even as early as 5 weeks not much can be seen maybe that is why they didn't show u anything as they didn't think there was much to show I'm sure if there was a problem they would have told you I have my fingers and toes crossed for you xxx

5 weeks is very early to see much! I'm pretty sure my friend had a super early scan, may have even been 6 weeks. Could barely see anything at all, so had to have her in again to see the progress! It was completely fine!

7 weeks you can see a lot more, but still all very tiny, I had a 7 week 5 day scan and it was a tiny blob with a very tiny flicker!

Please don't worry :) Hope the scan comes around fast for you! xxx

Thanks for the reassurance ladies, it makes me feel a lot better. I have a feeling that I implant late. With my dd I didn't get a BFP till really late. This time I got a faint BFP at about 13dpo even though I Oed early.

The doctor said come back in a week (I think they like to make money from the u/s, but it's Canada so I can't say much). I will be going back 6w 3d so I should see something by then. At least I am not stressing over it anymore.

Yeah I had nothing in sac at 5 weeks and a yolk appeared 4 days later :)

At 5w5d I had a small empty sac. This was on a transvaginal scan. At 7w5d I had a baby with a heartbeat on abdominal scan! I think just too early to see anything x

I had a scan at 5w5d, and saw just an empty gestational sac (no yolk sac, no fetal pole). Exactly a week later, we saw the heartbeat.

Fxd for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->