stretch and sweep?

vicky.uk

Reaction score
i have been and had another growth scan today and they say baby is doing very good, she is average size, they have offerd me a stretch and sweep at 37 weeks to see if we can get things moving so i can try natral, and if im still carrying at 39 weeks then they are looking to do a c section, any one have experience of sucsessfull stretch and sweeps?

Do you mind if I ask why you'll need a section at 39 weeks?

i had shoulder dystocia with my second, and as they cant say if it will happen again or not, they feel that if the baby goes to big then i def wont manage on my own as im only tiny my self

Well I've heard sweeps are quite successful but only if your body was ready to go. Does that make sense? Kinda like pushing the car forward but it has to at least be in neutral. If it's in park it's just a waste of energy. Your midwife/doctor should let you know this though. Some say if they're not able to do it at all, others still give it a shot. 37 is quite early to start sweeping so your body may not be receptive to it but you never know! :flower:

lol at the comparing it to pushing a car, i had read that it depends if your body is ready, i really hope that it works i dont want a c section the thought of it really scares me, and i have 2 young ones to look after and school run to do, so i could do with out being laid up in bed for too long.

hi hunny, from personal experiance even if ur body is ready it doesnt always work, i had one at 42 weeks with my first and i still didnt go into labour was induced in the end sadly they let me go way to far overdue and i ended up with c-section after a long labour...with my daughter i had a planned c-section and just wanted to reassure u that theres nothing to worry or be scared about it doesnt hurt (the initial operation) but recovery can be quite hard, personally i was up and about doing school run after just 2 weeks of my sections and they give u great pain relief, if u have family to help with the 2 LO u already have then u will be fine, i hope the sweep works for u hun defo give it a go if u want natural labour :)

thank you Charliemarina, the consaltants keep advising me against opting for a section and to try on my own first, they keep going on to me about the risks of section, in the end she ended it with well women can die during c sections and babys can die from shoulder dysotica!!! didnt really help and was bit unprofessional i thought, now i just want to keep her there and not go through any off it lol, my head is hurting from all the thinking but thank you for your experiance

That's horrible that she said either of those things! Just remember if the sweep doesn't work for you then you can try other methods of induction. Have they talked to you about setting a date to be induced instead of setting a date for a section? I know many women who have gone into labour after just a few of those prostaglandin gel thingys. Or they could try breaking your waters as well. And in the very end there's even the drip. I'm not a fan of the drip persay but I do know women that not only managed a vaginal delivery with a drip but manged it naturally as well. And of course you can always get an Epi if the drip is too much. All these are so many more option than a section. Not that there's anything wrong with one, but as you say you want to be mobile as quickly as possible so you should talk with them about those options first. :flower:

i did ask about being induced and i was with my first dd as she was a tiny baby they wanted her out, but the consaltant didn't want to entertain the idea of it, i do worry that 37 weeks is early for a sweep and it might not even work, and last week the midwife put on my notes that baby not engaged and still high but she is head down, i have another growth scan o the 8th feb she said we would talk more then

thank you Charliemarina, the consaltants keep advising me against opting for a section and to try on my own first, they keep going on to me about the risks of section, in the end she ended it with well women can die during c sections and babys can die from shoulder dysotica!!! didnt really help and was bit unprofessional i thought, now i just want to keep her there and not go through any off it lol, my head is hurting from all the thinking but thank you for your experiance

hey hunny, most defo try to do it naturally first and only use c-section as last resort i agree but can i say that MW is horrid and wrong to tell u that women die during c-sections, now im not saying women havent died from them coz they have but many many years ago wen sections were performed differently, wen i knew i was going to have a second one with my daughter i researched death from c-section extensively and voiced my fears of dying to my consultant and the risk of it killing u is less than 1% chance so please please dont let this woman scare u like that :( i think she maybe was just trying to convince u that natural is best but went the wrong way about it :shrug:

good luck with everything hun and i will be looking out for ur new baby announcment and pics :winkwink: xxxx

hey hunny, most defo try to do it naturally first and only use c-section as last resort i agree but can i say that MW is horrid and wrong to tell u that women die during c-sections, now im not saying women havent died from them coz they have but many many years ago wen sections were performed differently, wen i knew i was going to have a second one with my daughter i researched death from c-section extensively and voiced my fears of dying to my consultant and the risk of it killing u is less than 1% chance so please please dont let this woman scare u like that :( i think she maybe was just trying to convince u that natural is best but went the wrong way about it :shrug:

good luck with everything hun and i will be looking out for ur new baby announcment and pics :winkwink: xxxx

thank you sooooo much for all your advice, you have def made me feel a bit more calm about things, :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->