• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Strong Timely Contractions but NOT progressing???

Bebecake

Baby # 2 Due Summer 2014
Reaction score
Yesterday, I was having mild contractions that were about 6 minutes apart. They grew stronger and closer together (4-5 minutes apart). I am 38 weeks tomorrow.

My Dh and I went to the hospital around 6 pm. I had really strong timely contractions for a good two hours at the hospital. I didn't progress... I stayed at 2 cm. My doc advised the nurses to give me demeral (strong pain meds) and to send me home.

The pain meds wore off and I started having strong on and off contractions again at 3 am and lasted to about 8am. I went to my perinatologist appt and my contractions had somewhat subsided.

I have been having strong very painful contractions all day, but not super timely.

Will I just have to deal with this pain until I am induced next Frida? This seems to be cruel!! I feel stupid going back to the hospital just for them to do the same thing. Plus, How do I know if I have progressed if I don't go??? I just don't want to be that girl that waited too long and has her baby on the way to the hospital...

They will do anything to keep the baby in until 39 weeks, but man... this pain is ridiculous... I don't want to feel like I've been in labor for a week...

This just doesn't seem right? This is my first baby, so I really don't know what to expect... any suggestions? :nope:

I don't want to scare you or anything, but I had a similar situation - contractions every 4 minutes and lasting a minute or more, and I never progressed beyond 4cm :(

Ended up having an emergency c-section.

I would probably go back to the hospital. I too would be worried about waiting too long. If you are in that much pain then there must be some progression. Hope all goes well and will be watching for updates.

I'd go back if you're having contractions again...better safe than sorry. :hugs: hope all goes smoothly from here on out.

I had the same thing for 48 hours in my last pregnancy - it seemed that I couldnt get past 3cm then my waters broke and I went straight to 6cm.

I would say try keep active if you can, I think thats what might of hindered me last time.

I don't want to scare you either but after my waters broke I started to get contractions and they intensified but when I was examined I was only 1cm. They got more painful and longer but still I wasn't progressing any. I ended up being induced with a pessary but that didn't work either so they put me on a drip to induce me with syntocin but I only ever got to 5cm and then ended in an emergency c section. That was just my experience though.

If your still getting those pains then I would definitely go back to the hospital and see. I wouldn't feel silly about it :)

I have been having strong contractions 2 minutes or less apart since Monday..have been admitted to the hospital twice since then ..monday-tues and then again on wed... i stayed on bedrest yesterday..they gave me procardia to stop the contractions but it didn't work... it was horrible.. i'm still having them and went from my cervix being completely closed to a fingertip dilated to more than a fingertip dilated...i too wonder when i will know to go back and it's really frustrating :(

they are trying to keep my little girl in there until at least 36 weeks (next thursday) so we'll see... i feel like it's sooo unfair. I have actually been having contractions since last friday so a week now and have nothing to show for it as of yet ..the thought of doing this for much longer is overwhelming esp. since my plan is to have a natural birth ....

i have killer back pain too and killer cramps ... my little girl had the hiccups 5 times overnight... and i get very nauseaus as well... i think i lost my plug on monday night at the hosp. when the doc checked me and have continued losing some so i have no idea how long it will be but i agree it's soooo hard

Welcome to my life. :) The last week or so, I've been having the contractions. Last night I was up from 3AM till about 6AM with contractions that I had to breathe through every 4 minutes, lasting one minute each. I haven't progressed past 2CM. I don't think I will either, as my baby is very big, and his head doesn't fit right in my pelvic region (therefore not putting the right pressure needed to dilate)

I had a few weeks of false labor but when the contractions stayed consistent like you said hours....I went to L&D 2 times before they kept me first two times Early Labor not progressing fast enough (3cm) but the third time I was 4-5cm and labored start to finish 5.5hrs my only advice is keep active active active Good Luck Hun hope the real thing kicks in soon for you

Sounds like early labour, can go on for ages. Not pleasant I know! If your unsure just go back to hospital, doesn't matter how mant times you're in and out, that's what they are there for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"