Struggling to even get started!

missk1989

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,
My husband and I made the decision to adopt after finding out he is no longer producing sperm. I have always wanted to adopt or foster so am delighted. Except that we have our birth son and as he is just about to turn 3 we are struggling to find an agency who will take us considering we would only be eligible for a child under a year. I am gutted! I have spoken to 3 on the phone and could not face any more so have emailed every local authority and voluntary agency on "first4adoption" within a 35 mile radius. I am already loosing hope and we have not even made the first step! I have no one but DH to talk to about this but I don't want to upset him as he is very aware that the infertility issues were him not me and is worried I may leave because of it (I obviously wont but I am only 25 so I understand his concerns). Anyone else had these problems and it worked out?

We were told the same when we started the process (that under 3's are rare). We opted for 0 to 5 in the end.

However, we've heard that there have been a few baby placements recently so I do think they say this just to warn you and prepare you that there could be quite a wait and you still may not get a baby (we were told there was quite a waiting list). I suppose at the end of the day they can't predict how many babies will go into care.

However, I do think it's harsh they won't at least go through the adoption process with you, as there may well be a baby to place in the future.

I'm sorry you're stuck and I hope things work out. Perhaps when your son is a little bit older things will be a little easier.

Thanks for your reply. I have since posting found one LA willing to discuss things further. It is a good 30 miles from us in a "deprived area" so she said they had quite a few children needing homes. We are not asking for a tiny baby. We would even consider children of different ethnicities. The rules they made are restricting us and although I see the reasons for them and accept them I, like you said, don't see why they won't even consider us and just warn us we could be waiting a while. My son will age throughout the process widening the age gap as it progresses! So frustrating :cry:

Thanks for your reply. I have since posting found one LA willing to discuss things further. It is a good 30 miles from us in a "deprived area" so she said they had quite a few children needing homes. We are not asking for a tiny baby. We would even consider children of different ethnicities. The rules they made are restricting us and although I see the reasons for them and accept them I, like you said, don't see why they won't even consider us and just warn us we could be waiting a while. My son will age throughout the process widening the age gap as it progresses! So frustrating :cry:

Yes I can see the frustration and I do find it odd they don't just accept you with a warning of a possible long wait. It seems such a shame (not just for you, but for the children waiting).

I'm glad you've at least found an LA willing to discuss and I do hope things go well for you. Best wishes.

Hi I think its odd to that they won't help you out considering that there are babies to age 3 that are put up for adoption. In Canada you can go through the private agency and a adopt a baby, or go through the government system and get a baby up to 14. hopefully that agency will help you!!

Hi I think its odd to that they won't help you out considering that there are babies to age 3 that are put up for adoption. In Canada you can go through the private agency and a adopt a baby, or go through the government system and get a baby up to 14. hopefully that agency will help you!!

Thanks for replying. The problem is that there has to be a 2 year age gap between any adopted child and my birth son who is not yet 3. So even by the time we were approved we would only be eligible for a child under 18 months and apparently they have plenty of people waiting to adopt babies. They want people willing to take over 3's right now not under.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->