Struggling with recovery

Starlight32

Reaction score
I'm 18 days post c section and still really struggling. I can get around and lift my baby while wearing the abdominal binder (although it's very uncomfortable to wear when sitting) but I'm still in a good bit of pain when I'm not wearing it.

I have a hard, tender lump above my incision that makes my tummy bulge out (my tummy was flat pre pregnancy). I know I need to give it time but I'm feeling so impatient to feel normal again.

Any recovery tips? How was your recovery? This was my first c section (emcs after pushing for almost five hours).

18 days is still SO early in terms of recovery from a section so please don't worry or be fretting about things too much at the moment.

I had an Emcs in 2012 and had my elective section 4 days ago. I already notice a difference in the recovery from each of those, and with my first it took a good four months for my stomach to even start resembling anything like before I was pregnant.

It's difficult to adapt to a new body, but we have to remember that our abs have essentially been torn open and they have to heal all over again so a lot of exercise will be needed when the time is right (if you're not one of those lucky people who ping back into shape!).

I would advise making sure you are getting up and about as much as you can without straining yourself, this definitely helped my recovery with dd and I was feeling really good about five weeks later in terms of moving with no pain. I am encouraging myself at the minute to get up as much as I can and just walk to get a drink or something like that to try and keep myself mobile and supple.

Please don't worry or race to try and feel normal again, I promise you'll get there, we've just been through major surgery :) it's just difficult when a vagina, birth doesn't cause so much pain afterwards and we want to be enjoying everything with our new babies but it will happen xx

18 days is so early. If you think of it in terms of other surgerys now, most of them are key hole. There are very few type of surgery that result in a 6" cut these days. Then youve got the fact that you have to look after a new born immediately after.

It is very harsh on the body. Try and rest as much as you can, maybe talk to your HV

My belly slowly looks like it's getting smaller. I'm 3 weeks post c section now. I still have a tender bulge right above the incision, and it seems slightly more tender and possibly slightly larger on the left side. My skin looks so weird too (although that's not c section specific). It's very wrinkly!

My belly slowly looks like it's getting smaller. I'm 3 weeks post c section now. I still have a tender bulge right above the incision, and it seems slightly more tender and possibly slightly larger on the left side. My skin looks so weird too (although that's not c section specific). It's very wrinkly!

You'll no doubt be tender for a while, it's usually the uterus contracting back down which results in tenderness - this might also be exaggerated if you're breast feeding too.

My skin was very wrinkly after my first section, essentially because I was so stretched in pregnancy and then wasn't pregnant anymore so there was extra skin. This did subside though, although it took a while xx

Thanks for the replies ladies.

Did you wear an abdominal binder after your sections? The hospital gave me a few (I've already worn the Velcro out on one!) and I absolutely need them to get around and to pick up my baby without pain. I'm wondering when I'll be able to stop wearing it?

No I haven't worn anything with either of mine; we hAve to buy something like that if we want it and I just never bothered - I think because no one recommended them so I'd never heard of them until this forum.

I was encouraged to make sure I am moving around as much as possible without overdoing it. I can now move around relatively pain free (had baby last Thursday) however yesterday we went on a walk and last night I was aching a lot and having a couple of twinges so think I over walked! Xx

Give yourself and your scar time to heal. There's no need to rush it. 18 days is still so early. They say 6 weeks on average until you are able to be fully back to normal. For me it was 8 weeks after getting an infection and my scar opening cause I did too much and tried to rush healing. Honestly the best thing you can do is take things slowly, don't do too much lifting, bending or walking etc but obviously still to some and stop worrying about getting your body back into shape. You have all the time in the world to do that. Your baby doesn't care if you have a flat stomach or abit of flab. Just enjoy your baby the rest can wait.

Starlight, I too have a hard lump next to my incision. I was cut vertically though requiring 32 staples.
Did your lump ever go aWay? I saw the doctor today and he called it something (I cant remember the name) and said it should go away and if it didnt it may be infection... im terrified now wondering which it is and if it will go away.

Mine did go away. I stopped wearing the binder at 8 weeks which is when I started to feel better. My tummy still doesn't feel pre preg normal but it doesn't bother me much anymore, it's the new normal. Hope you feel better soon!

I'm so glad I read this. I'm 4 days post section (planned) and one side (right side) of my scar really hurts. When j move it hurts - so getting up from bed, a chair etc. If I'm still it doesn't hurt. It feels like a pulling pain I think - maybe the stitches internally. I'm so worried about it and the hospital only gave me paracetamol and ibroprofin to manage the pain which feels a bit light weight after such surgery. But I understand that's normal.

Is this pulling normal? People had said 18 days is early to feel better so I'm guessing four days it's normal to be in a lot of pain still x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->