Stupid questions....help please..

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by sonny, Oct 7, 2008.

1. sonny

sonny Mummy of Tabitha

Ok these might sound a bit dumb....

Tabs has been on baby rice for just under 2 weeks now once a day and have the go ahead to start on fruits and veggies.
    I want to make up a batch and then put in ice cube trays and do it that way,so its convenient and less waste etc......Do i need to sterilise the ice cube tray? or just a good wash and boiling water?

Also i just thought ill be using a whizzy thingy to puree it .... do i need to sterilise this or just wash and boiling water?

This sounds really thick reading this back but its one of those silly things where i think too much!

2. B4byAnge1

B4byAnge1 Well-Known Member

Hmm, I personally wouldnt sterelise them, but mainly because I would never have thought of sterelising the tray and blender. I think washing it with the boiling water sounds like a good idea, should kill bacteria, also, freezing may kill any on the ice cube tray?

3. bigbelly2

bigbelly2 mommy of 2!

Id prob say to put them both in boiling water rather than steralise them, i also use the bugs away spray from asda that is safe to use in the kitchen and with food pref stuff everytime i use stuff for tommy....

do what you think, although i know you can stop steralising bottles etc at 6 months..people will all have different opinions and thoughts on this though so its kind of go with your own judgement i think

h x

4. Munchkin

Munchkin Well-Known Member

Not sure the trays can be sterilised. I just wash the blender, trays and plates, weaning spoons etc with very hot water and give 'em a good scrub. This should be sufficient.

Meant to continue sterilising bottles and teats up to 1 year though because of the bacteria that can grow in milk.

5. sam's mum

sam's mum mum of two gorgeous boys

Sam was a bit older than Tabs when I started making his food (not sure if that makes a difference but he's had tap water from 6 months) and I just used to boil the kettle to pour it over our whizzy thing and ice cube trays (after washing in hot soapy water). Or if I was storing it in bigger containers I'd put them in the dishwasher just before I used them x

6. Emmea12uk

Emmea12uk The Folic acid police!

Personally, I would just give it a good wash. I would only steralise things that come into contact with dodgy stuff, like milk. But, once the food is defrosted use it straight away to prevent bacteria growth.

Btw, I give tom baby rice with all but his morning feeds.