Stupid stupid stupid NHS!!!!! *Rant, may offend*

RiverSong

Reaction score
Okay so I rang the scan clinic who sent me through my appt letter which stated 'chidren cannot be present' and they said no your seven month old can't come to the scan even if he's on someones knee, your partner will have to wait outside and see the scan afterwards. (There's NO chance we can get childcare etc we've already explored this option.)

WHAT!! They said they have bigger equipment, but if hubby is there and he's sat on his knee he is taking up NO extra space, he can't even walk yet how is he going to be a problem.

So I've cancelled my scan, all my midwife appointments and I'm going to do this myself. They messed me around enough last time they're not doing it again this time.

Grr!!!! :dohh:

i could understand if it was a child who was big enough to run riot around the room but 7 months??? i dont get it

Sounds crazy, different hospitals must have different policies My friends 9 and 8 year old went to her scan, Is there no other hospital close enough?

I say never mess with a pregnant woman!! :lol:

i think you are being a bit rash though getting rid of all your medical support. what if you need it?

can you afford to go private or anything instead?

I know, and last time at the same place they allowed any age child in! I mean it's not like he's going to sit there asking questions or run around, he'd probably sleep lol. I'm booking a private scan anyway they allow kids in.xxxx

That must be dreadful for you! Your child is only 7 months old and not yet to walk, andshouldnt be a problem to be in a room with your partner!

You should ask to speak to someone higher than that person and demand the explaination. Or seek for other hospital. xxx

I agree with magicbubble :(

How about asking managment if they allow LO strapped in a pushchair? Unless its a small place - my NHS hospital allowed children but had to be accompanied by and adult other than myself.

I hope ur ok hun :( x

Sorry magicbubble our posts crossed. I'm going private for the scans to see if theres anything wrong, homebirth for the birth.

And just to add to my main post they've actually turned people away! Even people with pre walking children.xxx

i would keep the appointment and go anyway, when you turn up WITH YOUR BABY insist that they let you take your baby in. its not like you can abandon it in the corridor and i doubt they would send you away as it would be a waste of their time ;)

Jesus turning them away!!!!! thats bad :(

Enjoy the private scan hun :D

xxxxxxx

I have to agree to be honest, if a 7 month old kicked off it wouldnt be fair on the concentrating sonographer. My LO was almost 1 year corrected when i went for mine and i got my mum to watch her in the waiting room.

Sorry magicbubble our posts crossed. I'm going private for the scans to see if theres anything wrong, homebirth for the birth.

And just to add to my main post they've actually turned people away! Even people with pre walking children.xxx

oh i missed this before i posted - how silly!

I know, and last time at the same place they allowed any age child in! I mean it's not like he's going to sit there asking questions or run around, he'd probably sleep lol. I'm booking a private scan anyway they allow kids in.xxxx

i would keep the appointment and go anyway, when you turn up WITH YOUR BABY insist that they let you take your baby in. its not like you can abandon it in the corridor and i doubt they would send you away as it would be a waste of their time ;)

Thats a good idea, maybe the wasted time would show them they're being unreasonable, especially if other couples do the same.

I brought william to all my scans and never ever seen a letter saying that. midwives where holding him and all. there really is a difference in areas.

Hehe if they ask for a copy of the scan if i do have to go to hospital, i could say yes but there's a charge hehe. Works both ways XD xxx

:( I can understand its an inconvenience to not be able to take children in with you - I have an 11 month old myself and we're still working out childcare BUT I can completely understand why they're not allowed in. Its a medical scan to check on the babys well being, not a scan for the hell of it!

As for cancelling all antenatal care, I think thats silly unless you are paying privately for a midwife etc, its very important to have regular midwife appointments for your babys wellbeing!

Its sad isnt it, i am pretty sure that my hospital didnt let children in which will be a problem this time round, i am lucky that my brother might agree to watch him whilst we are having the scan done but i will double check

i do agree that the ultra sound technicians are there to check the health of the babies and if another child is distracting them whether they are sleeping or screaming or just not being settled they might risk missing something due to not being able to concentrate

i know its terrible but i think the nhs scans really are for the medical benefit of knowing that your baby's development has been checked etc etc as opposed to a family day out or even a way of introducing the new baby to other children.

i will say though that i had a private 4d scan with my first and it was amazing, they of course tell you if they see anything that is worrying but the point of their scans are to do what you want them to do, get a good pic of the face, get a thumb sucking shot, show you the heart beat, tell you if it is a boy or girl, and generally interact with you and your family about your baby, it is a completely different experience

doesnt help anyone who can get anyone to look after other kids though does it, its silly really, i mean who is actually going to want to leave their husband looking after the kids outside and see your baby for the first time on your own

I know some hospitals do have a policy of not allowing children into the scan room, but that's not just because they can cause a riot, it's also in case something is wrong with the baby; it'd be too distressing for a child to see/hear.

They're taking it a bit far though when they're not letting you take in a 7 month old baby who has no concept of what is happening!

Maybe you could call the hospital and ask why they're unwilling to allow him in with you? If it's due to the possibility of complications, you can tell them how ridiculous it is to apply that to a baby. He's also too young to run around and cause mayhem. You can also compromise that if he does start crying, your husband will take him outside so the sonographer isn't being distracted.

I wouldn't cancel all of your medical care though, seems a bit rash :/ x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->