Sudden drop in supply?

misspriss

Reaction score
Okay, I've mostly battled with oversupply. I work full time and pump at work and for a long time I either had oversupply or was working to get rid of it. I log my pumping sessions in a spreadsheet (I'm an accountant, we like spreadsheets...) so I know what my output has been historically.

I have really strived to get 8oz per day, LO takes 7.5 regularly. So far, it has consistently been 4oz/2oz/2oz (I pump 3x/day). I go so far as to even try to get half from each breast, although the right one sometimes does about 60%.

I normally pump at 8:45, 11:30, and 2:30. Monday and Tuesday I had training and could only pump during breaks at 10:30, 12:00, and 2:00, so a bit closer together but I left home an hour later so I nursed LO later. The first day of training I got 4/2/2 like normal. The second day it was 3.5/2/2, so not bad. LO was fussy and drank less that day anyway. Today, my first day back in the office, I only got 2 ounces at my first session, and that took a lot of breast compressions. I normally get 4 and am usually still producing (at least on the right side) when I quit.

I know I should not panic until the day is finished, but it is freaking me out. I have never had THIS low of output, especially since I had a low day yesterday (albeit barely low).

Hopefully my 11:30 pumping (which I am bumping to 11:00 in case I have to squeeze in 4 sessions) will be better. Any causes for a drop in supply like that? We cosleep and he nursed at night like usual. I hope AF is not coming back...

Okay. Mild Freakout over. I knew I shouldn't panic so early on. Got 4 ounces at noon, so I'm up to where I should be at 6 ounces by this time of day. I just pumped extra long with lots of compression and massage, I think I got a second let down. In addition to massage/compression, I also decided to not pay any attention to it (sounds hard, I know!) :)

Sounds like you need to replace your membranes. Have you done that recently?

It could also be hormonal. Not too much you can do about that, but if it is, then your supply will probably just bounce back.

Don't try to get equal amounts from both breasts. It's completely normal for one side to produce more. Just get as much as you can from each one, even if it's lopsided.

Well it resolved itself later in the day. Yes, I have replaced them recently. I did replace my bottle seals today though, since yesterday's performance. The glass bottles are hard on my bottle seals. Bad design I say, but hey.

I ended up with bad oversupply and super forceful let down on the right side, and my baby developing a preference as he got older for the faster flow boob, which made the problem worse. In order to keep lefty going, I prefer to push that side to produce as much. I also put baby on that side first whenever I can.

Today, I got my usual 4/2/2 with no problems. Must have just been a weird day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->