Sudden fish allergy.

Eegee

Reaction score
I've eaten kiwis for years and it only occurred to me a few months ago that the tingling mouth I experienced wasn't normal - I assumed it was the acidity. Occasionally other foods do it too, like aubergine, but it's so mild that I still eat them now and again.

Tonight I had freshly cooked salmon mixed with mayo in two wraps with cucumber slices. My mouth started tingling part way through the first one, but I finished them both. My mouth still doesn't feel great - a little bit sore, as though I've eaten something that was too hot.

I can't believe it! I love salmon and my absolute favourite food is sushi! Going to be so gutted if this is an allergy that continues after pregnancy. Of course there are fish-free sushi alternatives so it's not the end of the world, but they're not the same. Not fair! :(

Oh you poor thing. I sympathise. I use coconut oil on my face a lot, every time I have a bout of dry skin. Usually I put it on before I go to sleep. The other day I had some eczema, which is unusual for me, so I put on some coconut oil - my whole entire face flared up in a huge red rash! I had to go to the doctor. He said it was the oil and that I shouldn't use it because I am probably allergic to it. He said it is very common to be fine with something pre pregnancy and to be allergic to it or have it not agree with you when you're pregnant. Crazy. I've gone from being able to use it to being prescribed a steroid cream to treat an allergic reaction because of it!

Hopefully you will be absolutely fine once you've had your baby. The doctor I saw seemed to make it feel this way, that everything would go back to normal after pregnancy. So I'm sure it'll be the case for us both!

And I love salmon too. I could not live without it! So I feel your pain.

If you are allergic to kiwi now it could be that you've developed oral allergy syndrom which would make you react to certain types of raw fruits and vegetables. Ive had this myself since 13 and haven't grown out of it but I do find during pregnancy it eases up for me a little. I've heard our bodies antibodies can alter in the opposite way during pregnancy so it could be the cucumber you were reacting too and maybe not the salmon. I react to cucumber even though it is mostly water. The enzymes within the vegetable need to be denatured ie. Cooked, Heated or canned which is also heated In order make them edible without reaction for someone with OAS. Some find they can tolerate most Raw fruits and vegetables and some find they can't tolerate most. Worth mentioning incase you notice a pattern? And it seems to be fruit and veg that you noticed an oral reaction to so far?

Thanks for replying!

I never even considered that it could be the cucumber - I've had it recently in salad but it wasn't in every bite like it was in the wrap. I had the same wraps with mayo and chicken today but had no problem, so I know it's not them.

I was really naughty today and actually had sushi (NHS website says it is usually fine) and there were three pieces of salmon in it, and I ate them slowly but one after another to see if anything happened - and it didn't. There was cucumber in there too but I ate that quickly and had lemonade at the same time, so I may not have given it chance to react. I'll have to watch to see if that was the real issue!

The only 'official' allergy I've ever had I grew out of by the time I started school - cold urticaria. I used to come out in lumps whenever I was out in the cold! However, I also seemed to have dermographia for a few years in my late teens - if anything rubbed against my skin, such as heavy carrier bags sliding down my arm slightly, I'd come out in hives. That also disappeared after a while. I suppose this could be another obscure thing which will hopefully come and go!

ETA: I've eaten aubergine in the past with no problem, but last time I ate it (may have been anything up to a year ago) there was quite a bit of it and it made my mouth feel uncomfortable enough that I didn't eat it all. They were quite thick slices though so may not have been cooked thoroughly.

You can develop it any time in your adult life so entirely possible. Raw avicado, plums, and some types of apples are the worst offers for me but I react mildly to almost all fruit and veg uncooked. I just make sure now if I fancy cucumber in a sandwich it's super finely sliced. Oh yes a fizzy drink will absolutely help if you are eating something you'd otherwise react to. A little bit is usually ok and thas what I do every day to try and tackle this eventually. Ill have one grape, one raspberry, a segment of orange a bit of my daughters apple ect. I have a little reaction but it's certainly helped over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->