Sugar intake and TTC

sarasmile

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

Have any of you tried to cut sugar out of your diet to increase fertility or regulate your cycles.? I have a friend who has a really strict diet (vegan, allergic to multiple things, just cut out all caffeine and sugar) and she has been ttc for years now with no luck. I was wondering about you alls perception of diet and fertility? Any stories of obvious success with this? I have not tried to alter my diet, although I basically follow the rules of moderation but still waiting for my cycle to kick into gear since going of bcp in july. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks!

While TTC my daughter, I finally cut out a lot of sugar and ate lots of nourishing soups and salads. Kind of "gave up" to get fit for the beach. Got pregnant that cycle.

With my angel, the cycle I cut out caffeine completely and drank only water plus ate lots of spinach/kale/soups I got pregnant again. So I'm doing it again!

I haven't tried changing my diet yet but I think I will give it a try. I started reading a book a while ago called "Making Babies: A Proven 3 month Program for maximum fertility" and it covered diets for different people. I did not finish reading it because I became pregnant so I can't share anything from it. I gave the book to a friend and am kind of regretting that now LOL. I think I'll check the library or book store and read through it. Anyways I mention the book because it might be something you might want to check out. I am sure what you eat does have some baring on your fertility as does being over or underweight. Good Luck!

great, I'll check it out! thanks for the advice :)

I read a v interesting article recently on the effect sugar has on fertility and according to what I read it doesn't promote a good internal environment for implantation or nourishing an early embryo, so I'm trying my best to cut it out this cycle as we are now on cycle 8 TTC with two cp in 6 months, I'm also overweight, I've lost 1 stone 8 after having my 11 month old but I still need to loose another stone and a half! We don't drive so walk everywhere so feel that I'm fit but overweight still! Xx

What a great post! I myself have been wondering the same. I have yet to find a sound nutritional menu for people who are busy. Most books i have looked at have recipes that would make me late for work or up till 3am making. I get the general idea...but a menu would be nice! I stare at the fridge or a menu wondering.....what can I have? If I have a cup of tea....will I ruin my chances? I know most fruits have good sugar....but is even that ok.

Best of luck and any tips...please share!!!

Strict vegan here and I used to power lift. It took 9months too conceive my first. I'd light sparse periods. I was told to put on weight and I had to take estrogen.

The second time I got pregnant I was vegetarian didn't have a clue when I ovulated and didn't work out as much it only took 3months.

So even with a pure diet it still took time.

I read a v interesting article recently on the effect sugar has on fertility and according to what I read it doesn't promote a good internal environment for implantation or nourishing an early embryo, so I'm trying my best to cut it out this cycle as we are now on cycle 8 TTC with two cp in 6 months, I'm also overweight, I've lost 1 stone 8 after having my 11 month old but I still need to loose another stone and a half! We don't drive so walk everywhere so feel that I'm fit but overweight still! Xx

Read the same article. I was following a high protein low carb diet for a couple months BEFORE the cycle I got pregnant, but I kind of fell off the wagon when AF showed up and never got back on. I probably ate more protein and less carbs than your average American, but by no definitely was it "low" carb. Anyway, just barely pregnant now....

I've been reading dr libby books. She's a well respected dietition and author herre in new zealand. At one part in her book she explains how liver loaders like caffeine sugar alcohol and processed foods mean that the liver can't process the estrogen like it should because it's busy with the sugar etc. It means our estrogen and progesterone get out of balance and this can affect our fertility. She says look after your liver and it will help. So this cycle I've cut out sugar etc except for last night and today I had a chocolate brownie. Oops. Back bring good now though.

And when I conceiced dd it was also the month I was trying to cut out alcohol caffeine sugar and processed food.

Read the same article. I was following a high protein low carb diet for a couple months BEFORE the cycle I got pregnant, but I kind of fell off the wagon when AF showed up and never got back on. I probably ate more protein and less carbs than your average American, but by no definitely was it "low" carb. Anyway, just barely pregnant now....
Congratulations that's fantastic news! Makes me feel a bit better as I'm trying but not sticking religiously to it xxxx

Thanks ladies for all of the great information! I really appreciate it. I just got back from a weekend out of town at a wedding, so I think starting this week ill try to cut out these processed sugars and see how things go!

I'm starting today:) no more sugar for me either xxx

If you have PCOS, I would certainly think cutting down on sugar would be a good idea - there's an insulin link with PCOS I think.

A lot of sugar in your diet is unhealthy anyway, so it's a good idea not to eat too much. Avoiding packaged and processed food cuts out an awful lot of the nasties, but it's really unlikely that the occasional treat is going to stop you conceiving completely. If your diet is full of more than the occasional treat, then yes, it might make more of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->