Suicide off motorway bridge. Selfish or just desperate?

staceyjc18

Reaction score
There has been two suicides within 2 weeks of a new bridge opening in our area that is going over a 6 lane motorway. Whats your opinion. Please keep it respectful :flower:

Selfish. They could cause someone to wreck.

Not selfish, desperate.

When you're in that frame of mind you dont think about anything or anyone else.

Selfish if it's premeditated, otherwise it's simply a moment of madness

I dont think that obviously just before you kill yourself you are thinking clearly.
I do hover believe suicide is a selfish act in general. Taking someone else with you when you go is even worse.

I would always have said selfish as I believed that if you wanted to kill your self go do it somewhere quiet and don't disrupt other people's days..... That is until me great uncle did it.

He was a upstanding man in his 70's. Things got to much for him - his wife had spent all his life savings on bingo and refused to share what she had with him - it was then that I realised people driven to that state don't have any real control over their actions.

Tbh I think this is quite a tasteless thread - bordering on offensive to those who have lost friends and family in this way.

Personally I think that if you was in the right state of mind then you would probably see it as a selfish thing, but having someone close to me that has suffered mental health issues and contemplating this kind of thing, when you are that down the last thing you are thinking of is off of other people.

I think it is just sad all round really, sad for the girl and for her family and sad for all the people that had to witness it. I don't know though, I suppose if she had taken someone from my family by doing what she did, then I would probably think differently. :shrug:

OT but I did read though that the first was an attempt, apparently the man survived.

:flower:

I think anyone who commits suicide, or attempts suicide should be excluded from the moral expectations we place on other members of society. For someone to want to take their life, they must be hurting so bad that they can't even think straight, for themselves, let alone for others. I mean, you can't truly expect someone who is willing to hurt themselves to have concern for anyone else can you?

Its sad, they need help. As for bridges etc, yeah perhaps they make committing suicide for some easier, but what can you do? We can't stop having bridges etc.

I do feel sorry though as well, for people that have to watch the suicide..like train drivers..that must suck so bad....its an awful situation.

I agree that if someone commits suicide or attempts it, they are deeply unhappy and are not thinking straight and again like soemone else said not thinking about other people........... i dont think they are selfish its not a word i would use to describe somebody in that state of mind, how awful......... all i feel is sad and sorry for them and their family and friends. x

Suicide is a desperate act... in that state of mind the last thing a person would need is to be judged as selfish or anything else. Tragic :(

I think although it is a very selfish act, it is done out of pure desperation.

The act of suicide itself is desperate to the victim but I think throwing yourself onto a motorway, in front of a train etc is selfish. It's not just the victim that will be affected. Their act could cause an accident on the road and result in death/injury of others not to mention the psychological effects of the car/train/truck driver that hits them

The act of suicide itself is desperate to the victim but I think throwing yourself onto a motorway, in front of a train etc is selfish. It's not just the victim that will be affected. Their act could cause an accident on the road and result in death/injury of others not to mention the psychological effects of the car/train/truck driver that hits them

This was the point I was kinda trying to get at. :thumbup: You just put it better.

When the person I mentioned in my previous post did 'get better' she did say that what she had attempted to do was a selfish thing, she just obviously at the time wasnt even really thinking about herself, so of course the welfare f others didn't cross her mind either.

Like I said I do find it very sad for all parties but at the same time I do wonder if I would feel the same if they did take one of my family with them when they done it, I very much doubt I would.

:flower:

I agree with you, AppleBlossom.

Desperate to themselves - selfish to loved ones - whatever it is - the person committing it needs help and love and I do not judge those who are in that level of despair - to me no one I know has done this and I am so grateful for it xx

very selfish.
they could end up killing so many people who don't want to die.

to say its selfish would mean they got up one morning and thought yes what I want to do is create a massive traffic jam, endanger lives and get myself on the paper, I really don't think thats what's going through people's minds, I remember I was waiting for the train home from school once and someone jumped in front the train, it was horrifying when they carried the body bag past me, someone has lost their lives, they were suffering so much that death felt like the only option, I hope nobody ever gets to that stage, the main reason victims pick things like trains and bridges are because in panic mode thats how the brain works, they want something fast and quick, they are not reasoning or being logical - if they were they wouldn't be committing suicide.

My friend was driving when someone jumped off a motorway bridge. She is still scared and its been about 4 yrs :( Its selfish for people to do.

I think there desperate but often people who go to public places are wanting attention and help and being in a public place they often get the help. Most people who truly are set on committing suicide will often go some where out of the way they won't be found or stopped. I do think if they were in there right mind that it is selfish as it's must be awful to witness but there not in the correct frame of mind else they wouldn't be up on the bridge there desperate and Ill

Overall I think in most cases people are desperate and ill. My cousin didn't try to jump over a bridge but she tried to throw herself in front of cars on a very busy motorway and caused all kinds of chaos; thankfully the police arrested her and held her until her brother arrived and promised he would take her home and make sure she didn't go out again in that frame of mind, I felt terrible because she tried to phone me to get me to talk her out of going to the motorway and trying to kill herself there but my phone was on silent and I just saw her missed call-at the time she was feeling very desperate and had also decided to stop her medication cold turkey so it just really made her not think straight at all and she felt like she just didn't want to live anymore. She has since been diagnosed with other mental health problems as opposed to just depression-so it explains quite a lot of her extreme behaviour such as that. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->