Sunbeds

ames_x

Mummy to 2 beautiful boys
Reaction score
Does anybody know if your able to use sunbeds while pregnant, looking a tad pasty lol x

No hun, stick to fake tan or natural sun :)

I am all pasty too but summer is on its way :)

Your not supposed to. I would just use false tan hun.x

Not entirely sure hun, I do remember with my last pregnancy tagging along with my friend whilst she went on the sunbeds and they had notices saying pregnant women were not allowed to use the sunbeds...
I don't think there is any definite proof that using sunbeds harms an unborn child although research is still ongoing and they have found links with folic acid deficiency when using sunbeds, I suppose if you can find a place that allows pregnant ladies, it's your choice whether to use them hun x

I wouldnt risk it, fake tan out of a tube would be better :)

oh and also, just read something I never knew, when your skin darkens (tans) this is your skins natural defense to try and protect from the suns harmful rays or the uv rays on a sunbed!

Think how hot sunbeds get, and we're advised not to raise our body temperature. I wouldn't do it.

Thanks girls!

Just found this on the internet

There are no particular hazards in using a sun bed when pregnant, but it's worth bearing in mind that the same risks apply as to anybody who exposes themselves to UV light.

Sunbathing in general can affect you differently while pregnant.

Your skin is more sensitive when pregnant because of your hormones.

The chances of skin cancer are higher.

You may find that your skin is more blotchy or becomes more irritated than normal.

Pregnant women who sunbathe may develop 'chloasma' which is a change in the depth of colour of the skin affecting the face. It usually affects the area around the eyes and over the cheekbones.

A little bit of what you fancy does you good, so a short time on the sun bed to make you feel 'sun-kissed' should do you and your bump no harm at all; just don't overdo it!

Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

I wasnt going to over-do it obviously, if i had the money i'd get a spray tan lol

Thanks girls!

Just found this on the internet

There are no particular hazards in using a sun bed when pregnant, but it's worth bearing in mind that the same risks apply as to anybody who exposes themselves to UV light.

Sunbathing in general can affect you differently while pregnant.

Your skin is more sensitive when pregnant because of your hormones.

The chances of skin cancer are higher.

You may find that your skin is more blotchy or becomes more irritated than normal.

Pregnant women who sunbathe may develop 'chloasma' which is a change in the depth of colour of the skin affecting the face. It usually affects the area around the eyes and over the cheekbones.

A little bit of what you fancy does you good, so a short time on the sun bed to make you feel 'sun-kissed' should do you and your bump no harm at all; just don't overdo it!

Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

I wasnt going to over-do it obviously, if i had the money i'd get a spray tan lol

I was sooo pasty white hun, it was driving me mad. I just bought L'oreal sublime bronze fake tan. Its really good and looks natural and doesnt go on all streaky. I wouldnt risk using the sunbeds hun, its not worth it. Summer is on its way anyway and apparently you are more sensitive to the suns rays being pregnant so you dont really want to risk burning.

xxx

I was going to ask is st tropez fake tan safe to use then when pregnant... Im guessing so if you ladies are going/use other brands of fake tan..? xx

defo do not use sun beds !!! i doubt they would let you anyway your contra indicated hun !! a huge no no ,,

Is everyone sure about fake tan being safe? I don't know why it wouldn't be, but on another baby forum I've read several times to avoid them.

Would love to know for sure as I love using my Summer skin stuff but haven't cus I thought I couldn't! Thanks xx

Is everyone sure about fake tan being safe? I don't know why it wouldn't be, but on another baby forum I've read several times to avoid them.

Would love to know for sure as I love using my Summer skin stuff but haven't cus I thought I couldn't! Thanks xx

I just found this hun

Many women worry about using fake tan in pregnancy. On the whole self-tanning products are considered safe to use when you're expecting but they're not recommended. I would definitely stay clear of sunbeds and always use a sun cream when out in the sun.

The active ingredient in self-tanning creams is Dihydroxyacetone (DHA), which is non-toxic and works by interacting with cells in the top layer of skin. These skin cells are already dead – they're shed as new skin appears and the DHA is not absorbed into the body.

Although not common, it's still possible to have an allergic reaction to fake tan as your skin is more sensitive in pregnancy, so if you're happy to use nothing, this is probably the safest bet.

xxx

It's never been proven to be harmful to your baby. My doctor says that it's okay to using tanning beds but if you get TOO hot then you need to get out. I personally wouldn't risk it b/c i'm a freak like that...but i just went an got a spray tan and feel loads better because i was so WHITE! lol :)

I use Loreal Sublime Air Brush Dry Mist Spray, it's ace and it's on offer at Boots right now 15% off, they do a body version and a facial one too!

I use Loreal Sublime Air Brush Dry Mist Spray, it's ace and it's on offer at Boots right now 15% off, they do a body version and a facial one too!

Yea I have the face one, its great!! Means you dont have to wear foundation too!! xx

What is that exactly? Do you just buy the stuff and do it at home? does it leave you streaky or orange?

Yes, the true risk in tanning is body temperature. The problem is, the 10 minutes or so that you might be able to spend in a bed normally without heating up might be too long when you are preggers. Your hormones are different, body temp is different, skin is different, etc. I have a friend with 3 kids who is a nurse, and she said if I wanted I could tan, but just go in for a few minutes. What it boils down to for me is that it isn't even worth my time. I agree with the fake tan, maybe a little bronzer, etc. That is probably the best thing to do. Do I think you will hurt your baby if you tan once or twice, no. Might it dehydrate you quickly and make you feel ill, yes.
I used to work in a salon. One of the girls who was pregnent would go in and sit next to the bed and put her legs in...LOL. She felt it would make wearing shorts more bearable. I have a face lamp I use at home, some. It helps me tremendously when I feel pasty. Adds a little color, but no danger to body temp or baby. That's another thing you might consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->