Super nervous about upcoming HSG... Any advice??

Megan0625

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

After a couple of failed IUIs, I've decided to have an HSG to rule out any problems with my Fallopian tubes before doing another medicated IUI. I am SO nervous about the HSG because I've read so many horror stories about the pain. Does anybody have any advice to help calm my nerves? Or has anybody had an easy HSG with little to no pain? I will say I don't tolerate speculums very well already and IUIs were even tough for me, but they are prescribing me Valium for the HSG. Gahh, I'm so nervous. Any replies would be appreciated, thank you!

I've done them twice. I won't lie and say it's painless but it's not awful (at least for me). It felt more like really bad period cramps and as soon as they were done the pain was done. I have heard that the more blockage you have the worse it hurts, but I don't know if that's true or not. I hope yours is quick and as painless as possible!

I guess I am an oddball. The procedure itself wasnt painful. Uncomfortable but once over I was fine in that moment. But I did experience feeling crampy later that night.
Focusing on breathing is something that will help. I was breathing in and out like I was in labor. Probably overkill but it distracted me enough.:coffee:

Technicians know its uncomfortable and will take good care of you. Please let us know how it goes.

I guess I am an oddball. The procedure itself wasnt painful. Uncomfortable but once over I was fine in that moment. But I did experience feeling crampy later that night.
Focusing on breathing is something that will help. I was breathing in and out like I was in labor. Probably overkill but it distracted me enough.:coffee:

Technicians know its uncomfortable and will take good care of you. Please let us know how it goes.
Thank you so much, that makes me feel much better! I will definitely update once I've had the procedure. Not looking forward to it but I know I'll be one step closer to having a healthy pregnancy.

Okay, I'm gonna be truly honest here, not to scare you but just so you know worst case scenario. I had the HSG and it was by far the most painful thing in my entire fertility journey - way worse than my c section in fact. After it was done I cried on the floor of the hospital toilets. When I got home after it, I passed out from the shock and I threw up coz it hurt so much.

But. REALLY, really big BUT.

It was fast, like really fast. Just gritted my teeth and it was soon done. I was also completely fine by the next day, no after effects, not even sore. And I didn't have the valium, with hindsight that definitely would have helped me through! And it gave us valuable info, and maybe, just maybe, it was the trick we needed to clear my tubes as just six months later we were expecting our miracle baby. So... *even* if its horrible, you'll get through it - and it'll all be worth it hopefully. And as the ladies above say, yours might be nothing like mine anyway, and you'll find it absolutely fine.

Good luck and keep your eye on the end goal, you got this!!!

I had it done once and it was like really bad period pain, but once it’s over I had no lingering pains. I think the valium will definitely help! Good luck.

Thank you everybody! I had the HSG today and it was DEFINITELY painful (partially due to a tilted uterus and some other complications) but I was so relieved when I was done. My nurse and radiologist had fantastic bedside manners, and the nurse held my hand and rubbed my arm throughout the procedure because my wife was not allowed in the room (or building due to COVID restrictions). Everything looked clear, no blockages or anything, so I will hopefully be trying another medicated IUI next month O:) . Thanks again for all the responses and support. This fertility journey is not for the faint of heart!

Sorry it was painful :hugs:
What a sweet nurse! I'm glad everything went well :)

Sorry it was painful :hugs:
What a sweet nurse! I'm glad everything went well :)
Thank you so much! I was so thankful for the nurse, but she probably thought I was crazy because I was terrified and crying before the procedure even started. I had heard so many horror stories that I was really prepared for the worst.

Thank you so much! I was so thankful for the nurse, but she probably thought I was crazy because I was terrified and crying before the procedure even started. I had heard so many horror stories that I was really prepared for the worst.

That's understandable you felt like that and were so nervous and upset :hugs:

I'm so glad to hear it wasn't absolutely traumatic. I had one done before I started my iui's and had no idea what to expect. Like you I hate a speculum and had heard horror stories, but the whole process was over quickly, the staff supported and encouraged me - and they told me the results there and then, how often to you know any test results immediately?! The cramp was worth it and was over quickly. Good luck to you both, I'll keep everything crossed that your next iui is successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->