Supply dwindling and I'm starting to PANIC!!

Bellatrix

First time Mama
Reaction score
My baby girl has never been the easiest baby to feed, in fact it would be stretching the truth to say either of us are enjoying breastfeeding - I've only lasted this long through sheer determination to avoid formula!!

The last week or so she has become increasingly fussy at the 6pm(ish) feed before bed. Pulling on and off the breast, breaking the latch to cry, fuss, fling her arms and legs around etc. Also, in the last few weeks her weight gain has only been 3/4oz per week. Previously it had been a constant steady 7/8oz.

So, last night I decided to express to see how much milk she was actually getting for that particular feed - I was mortified when I managed to pump only 1oz from each breast. I topped it up with expressed milk (from the morning, when my supply seems fine) and she guzzled 4oz quickly and went straight to sleep in her cot, no fuss.

So now I'm panicking. Why has my supply has dropped so much??? I haven't changed my diet, no lifestyle changes, nothing. I've got a small stash of EBM in the freezer to top up her feeds but that won't last for very long!
Any advice please?? I'm almost thinking of switching to exclusively pumping to boost my supply and also so I can monitor her intake, but this seems like a lot of hassle...

Don't panic you are probably ok.(hugs)

I wouldn't start all the hassle of pumping, just offer the breast a few more time during the day. Baby will increase your supply if she takes more. Your milk will be lowest in the evening becasue a babies dont eat as much at that time and the milk has more protien to keep them fuller. This may be why there is very little to express.

Offering EBM may interfere with the natural process of things so try for a few days to offer a few more times and see if it helps. Baby is likley gearing up for a growth spurt and taking every oz you make so you need a few days to make more.

I know it's hard not panic but even now I can't express more than an oz after 7pm and I have 20lbs of big boy to feed but it somehow works out - just trust the baby for a couple days and see how things go. Keep in mind also your supply adjusts to exactly what baby needs so after the first few weeks (or months in my case) as baby starts eating at semi regular times your milk adjusts so you are not walking around with twice as much milk as you need this could also be a chnage that you are feeling.

You are doing great - keep it up.

Please don't panic. I had a similar issue, my LO only gained 8oz in 3.5 weeks. It was clear my supply was dwindling too. I took various steps to increase my supply, feeding my daughter when she showed the slightest hint of being hungry and hey presto- it worked. My DD gained 10,5oz in 1 week. Perservere, your supply will adapt to suit your baby x

Thank you ladies xx
You've really helped calm me :) She is fed on a flexible schedule, which has been much better for her reflux (frequent smaller feedings seemed to make her much worse.) However if she cries between feeds I do try to feed her but she's rarely interested. I'll see if I can slip and extra feed in somewhere though! I won't express this evening, I'll just be patient and encourage her to feed... if she is gearing up for another growth spurt hopefully my milk will catch up soon!!

It will!!! That's how it works.

For me the hardest thing was trusting the baby and the system that everythings would work. I started my journey in the NICU where they weighted him at every feed and he ate every 3hrs - when i got home and started on demand with no weighing after meals I stressed all the time because there were no hard numbers to rely on. I had supply issues too but once it was sorted out I learned to have faith - it took about 3 months total so finally relax. (and my sister in law went throuhg the exact same thing and oddly enough it was in the evening too!)

I am not totally sure but think weight gain may naturally slow around three months. My Lo had been putting on 5/6/7oz a week when born. Then a month ago put on 15oz in 2 weeks. The following two weeks at around three months he only gained 7oz but stayed exactly on his 25th percentile line and hv was totally grand with his weight. It is hard to trust ur body to keep meeting the needs of ur lo. I just feed as often as I can and feel Lo is satisfied and I think I am v lucky my supply seems ok I hope it stays this way.

I'm sure your supply is fine. Just because all you pumped was 1oz from each side, baby is a way more efficient sucker than a pump and will be getting more than that. Keep up the good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->