Sure start maternity grant?

Mummy2109

Reaction score
When do you get given this? Is it before or after you have the baby, I forgot lol

It doesn't exist anymore. They stopped giving this out a few months ago. It used to be after you hit 25 weeks I think, but nobody gets it now. They've stopped it all together.

Or so I understand anyway.

XxX

I think you can still get it but only for your first child, you have to be recieving benefits though or tax credits

Oh right, I thought they stopped it all together :shrug:

XxX

I have heard things about in the news, they stopped the health in pregnancy grant that was avalible to everyone

look here mummy2109 https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyT...ort/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018854

apparently this one is still avaliable as my midwife suggested it to me on the last visit , but it is only for your first pregnancy now . There was another post about it before and a mummy to be commented and said that you have to apply at 29 weeks and you get it roughly 2 weeks lately , so should be here in time for baby :) xx

Ahh okay, I have a little boy so I won't benefit from this grant :-( that's a shame... Thanks for all ur help :)

This is my first child... But we don't get any benefits so we still wouldn't be able to get it. I think it's crap how hard working people get nothing :( we are earning too much between us to get benefits, and yet £500 would help out SO much. We're not rich. We just about break even every month.

Don't mean to sound rude to anybody who is on benefits. I know that not everybody is unemployed by choice... It's just these people who have never worked a day in their lives and never will that bug me >.<

Ok, rant over... Again, sorry if I offended anybody.

XxX

This is my first child... But we don't get any benefits so we still wouldn't be able to get it. I think it's crap how hard working people get nothing :( we are earning too much between us to get benefits, and yet £500 would help out SO much. We're not rich. We just about break even every month.

Don't mean to sound rude to anybody who is on benefits. I know that not everybody is unemployed by choice... It's just these people who have never worked a day in their lives and never will that bug me >.<

Ok, rant over... Again, sorry if I offended anybody.

XxX

Totally agree with you £500 would cover everything for us, instead we have had to buy almost everything second hand its very demoralising for the people who work hard for what they have , we are just in the process of applying for tax credits as husbands hours have been cut down at work and im off sick so were really going to struggle with rent ect i dont know if we will get anything or not

It doesn't exist anymore. They stopped giving this out a few months ago. It used to be after you hit 25 weeks I think, but nobody gets it now. They've stopped it all together.

XxX

That wasthe health in pregnancy grant hun.

The sure start maternity grant still exists. You get it from 29 weeks but it changed on the 11th april this year and you can only get it for your first child now.

xxx

The sure start maternity grant still exists. You get it from 29 weeks but it changed on the 11th april this year and you can only get it for your first child now.

xxx

Ah, I see! I duno, they change stuff so much it's hard to know what's what. My best friend got over £800 when her little girl was born 5 years ago :/ She got pregnant while she was still in school. If we were given £800 (or even £500!) it would cover the few things we have left to get and pay off a credit card bill we've been struggling with... I know that's not what it's for, but we've been so lucky. Our family has helped alot and we've had alot of stuff second hand. And it would be one less stress for me haha.

XxX

xxx

Ah, I see! I duno, they change stuff so much it's hard to know what's what. My best friend got over £800 when her little girl was born 5 years ago :/ She got pregnant while she was still in school. If we were given £800 (or even £500!) it would cover the few things we have left to get and pay off a credit card bill we've been struggling with... I know that's not what it's for, but we've been so lucky. Our family has helped alot and we've had alot of stuff second hand. And it would be one less stress for me haha.

XxX

£800!!!!! Blimey !!!!

its a shame that you cant get anything and i completly see your point about those not working ebing able to get it . In all honestly its probably why most do it ! Were only entitled to it because of being on a low income but i think everyone is on a low income now a days !!! I can understand 'millionaires ' or those well off not being able to get it but i think that ANYONE on a low income should be entilted to the help ! x

I can see why people don't work, with all the money you get given... But surely there's more pride in working for your money? I mean, I know that not everybody gets a great wage when they do work, and it's only fair to help them. DH and I were on council tax and rent benefits when we first moved out because DH lost his job, but as soon as he got a job I was down the council and told them to stop them. They carried on paying us (which I didnt notice as it was only 2 payments. I just figured it was part of DH's wages :shrug:) and we ended up having to pay them back god knows how much money, which is how we got into debt with the credit card. Council were taking so much money that we couldn't afford to eat... We put our shopping on the credit card with intentions of paying it off when we had a bit more spare money... Yeah, we never seem to have spare money and I don't know where it goes half the time :(

I keep asking for money for birthday/Xmas, but I always end up with presents. Not that I'm not greatful, just that I reeeeeeally want this f*****g credit card paid off! Ha :( makes me feel awful that we can't pay it :(

XxX

xxx

XxX

£800!!!!! Blimey !!!!

its a shame that you cant get anything and i completly see your point about those not working ebing able to get it . In all honestly its probably why most do it ! Were only entitled to it because of being on a low income but i think everyone is on a low income now a days !!! I can understand 'millionaires ' or those well off not being able to get it but i think that ANYONE on a low income should be entilted to the help ! x

Are you on a benefit hun?

You do have to receive income support, jobseekers allowance or employment support allowance to get it. You can also get it if you receive child tax credits but obviously you would not get this till your babies are born. And i have just seem hun. Its £500 per baby. For you thats £1500. That would be a great help with triplets on the way. :)

I did not get it for my daughter as the child tax credits was not high enough but then i got it for my son born 25/11/2010 - (it helped a lot as we just scrape through every month and we had nothing) but now with the changes we would not be able to get it again. Luckily we have saved a few things and i have some great friends helping me with clothes etc.

XxX

xxx

have to agree, i rang the other day this is what they told me

You can apply for the grant up to three months after your baby is born if you are receiving any of the following:

Income Support
income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Pension Credit
Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element
Working Tax Credit where a disability or severe disability element is included in the award

So if you don't get child tax credits just now but will when your LO is here you will be able to apply for it then and should hopefully get it. This is what I was advised to do by the people I spoke to on the Maternity Allowance helpline, as although both me and OH have full time jobs we don't make alot. Not sure if this will help anyone but we have put off buying the cotbed/furniture set till LO is here as if we are entitled to it we will be able to buy it from that instead of doing more damage to our poor bank account :haha:. xxx

They haven't stoped it, you can get it if your on benefits. You can apply 11 weeks before your due date.

You won't get it three times over for triplets I don't think. They only pay for one child. Shame though, as obviously having triplets would be a major expense at first. I dread to think how much a triplet buggy would cost!

They have seriously cut back funding of this nature so that only the poorest get it. If you are on jobseekers of 65 pounds a week there is no way that you can afford to buy a cot and a buggy etc on that. It doesn't help the "working poor" though who always miss out on this sort of help and have to get by on low wages.

You won't get it three times over for triplets I don't think. They only pay for one child. Shame though, as obviously having triplets would be a major expense at first. I dread to think how much a triplet buggy would cost!

They have seriously cut back funding of this nature so that only the poorest get it. If you are on jobseekers of 65 pounds a week there is no way that you can afford to buy a cot and a buggy etc on that. It doesn't help the "working poor" though who always miss out on this sort of help and have to get by on low wages.

I used to process them hun.

Its £500 per baby. I have done many claims with twins and triplets.

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->