Sushi eaters.... come hither!

MnGmakes3

Pregnant with #1
Reaction score
My prenatal nurse told me to stay away from it unless it's cooked. .umm... hello. .. that's not sushi :p

I don't eat it too often...Once a month...IF that... So I'm just wondering if you've given it up completely or have the occasional roll or 2.

I wouldn't really hesitate in having a couple rolls here and there! I wouldn't eat tuna but I would get down on some salmon.. But I've given up tuna for a while now. Just would only eat it at places I really trust and at which I ate often before getting knocked up anyway

This thread reminded me of a section in Bringing Up Bébé

https://i57.tinypic.com/21dennt.jpg

I wouldn't really hesitate in having a couple rolls here and there! I wouldn't eat tuna but I would get down on some salmon.. But I've given up tuna for a while now. Just would only eat it at places I really trust and at which I ate often before getting knocked up anyway

Exactly how I feel! Thanks. now I'm hungry for a Philly roll lol

I've eaten raw sushi throughout all my pregnancies. As long as it's from a reputable place and you've never gotten sick from it before, I see no issue. I'm very much "everything in moderation" when it comes to pregnancy though.

Do either of you plan on drinking "lightly"? I've read that women who drink lightly actually have easier labors and have smarter children but not sure how I'll handle that..

I do. .. and by lightly i mean maybe a half a glass of wine once a month.
A friend of mine just delivered 4 months ago and drank a few beers every month or so and he's as perfect as ever.

I feel like that can't hurt!! Once I'm out of the first tri I will probably do that

All the advice here in the uk is it's ok if the fish has been frozen first (which I believe from anywhere reputable it well have)

I went researching when I was told no runny eggs and found some really good studies that suggest that 99% of eggs in the UK are salmonella risk free and safe to eat during pregnancy. I guess, no matter what way your swaying on something, you'll find some evidence to suit you!
Personally... I couldn't disagree more with drinking. We could use the 'I did and my baby was fine' about lots of things but for me, that doesn't make it okay. I would wonder how on earth drinking alcohol would make the birth easier.
Anyway, it's irrelevant as it comes back to my initial sentiment, if you really want to do something you'll find justification and I think if you can justify it to yourself, well that's the end of that isn't it!

My prenatal nurse told me to stay away from it unless it's cooked. .umm... hello. .. that's not sushi :p

I don't eat it too often...Once a month...IF that... So I'm just wondering if you've given it up completely or have the occasional roll or 2.

I just saw my midwife and asked her about sushi. She gave me a list of foods to eat a lot of and foods to stay away from. She said sushi with salmon or crab is okay, but no more than 12 oz a week. One important thing she did mention was that pregnant women need to stay away from Farm Raised Salmon because of the possible contamination and Swordfish is a definite no. I told her that I eat only California rolls since being pregnant because the crab is actually cooked. She said that is okay. Also, she said tuna is okay to have 1/month, like a small can of it. But, she did say to stay away from a certain kind that started with an A. Can't remember the name.

Very informative! Thanks Ahughes!!

I plan on still having my sushi this weekend. Very reputable local place and I've never gotten sick from it so I should be ok. I see Cali rooms in my future :)

Albacore probably?

I'm going out for sushi tomorrow to tell my BFF about the pregnancy but oddly one of my cravings is the fried rolls they have specifically there. So I doubt I'll be eating anything but that!

Re: booze, I believe the study makes sense (and historically speaking as well...), because those women are probably a bit smarter themselves.. And more level headed! More like, let's be reasonable, which will help in labor. Instead of oh my God one half a glass of wine will give my baby fetal alcohol syndrome.. And I definitely wouldn't want to be in the labor room with a woman like that :D but different strokes! And when it comes down to it I probably won't even drink BUT the concept remains the same

About the sushi thing- when my friend became pregnant and said she couldn't eat it, I wondered, what do women in Japan eat when they're pregnant then?! After a lot of research I found out sushi is actually suggested as a healthy food for pregnancy in Japan. A website even said "there are many who believe that the American "pregnancy sushi ban" is insulting to Japanese culture" which I think is understandable. As long as you eat fish with low mercury levels (basically, small fish) its all good. Also almost all restaurants in the US flash-freeze the fish for transit, so the pathogens are killed (you could even ask the restaurant if you're worried). Sushi on- yum!:happydance:

My personal motto is better safe than sorry. I agree with above post that you can find ways to justify your view either way. I have chosen to avoid pretty much everything I've read about that can be of concern - raw fish, too much tuna (I haven't eaten any yet), cold deli meats, raw/runny eggs, unpasteurized cheeses, alcohol, smoking, drugs of any kind (illegal for me that's a no-no regardless and prescription or over the counter I am cautious. Was told only Tylenol products during pregnancy but still not much of a meds taker), I don't drink much caffeinated pop or tea, no coffee. As far as sushi goes I would enjoy a California roll or something else that doesn't contain raw fish or the like. I LOVE SUSHI!!! Can't wait to enjoy whatever I like again but for now I'm playing it safe :thumbup:

Albacore probably?

I'm going out for sushi tomorrow to tell my BFF about the pregnancy but oddly one of my cravings is the fried rolls they have specifically there. So I doubt I'll be eating anything but that!

Re: booze, I believe the study makes sense (and historically speaking as well...), because those women are probably a bit smarter themselves.. And more level headed! More like, let's be reasonable, which will help in labor. Instead of oh my God one half a glass of wine will give my baby fetal alcohol syndrome.. And I definitely wouldn't want to be in the labor room with a woman like that :D but different strokes! And when it comes down to it I probably won't even drink BUT the concept remains the same

Yes, Albacore! That's it. Thanks :)

I totally agree with the "what would Japanese women eat?" approach. The French eat poached eggs and drink wine reasonably and the magazines warn them against reading American advice columns! Haha. I used to live there and was an au pair for some little ones and I can tell you the approach is very very different - it's all about being reasonable. Eat high quality, be smart, be very moderate. That's my approach. Of course you can justify anything BUT I don't think that being level-headed needs justification :) Just like you can justify going without soft-boiled eggs for nine months but if you eat a super healthy diet anyway I just don't see how our local, pastured organic eggs are going to hurt me from having runny yolks. We personally make the effort where it counts - we buy only organic, makeup is all organic, we drink fluoride-free water, etc. But raw salmon just doesn't equate for me. :D

I had a few sips of champagne after our first US that showed a healthy baby- and I had a teaspoon of aioli with food. My OB said to not eat too much large fish- such as albacore tuna or swordfish. But she also said if I wanted to splurge one time and eat a swordfish steak I would be fine. It's all about moderation- and I think american doctors have learned the hard way to warn against ANY possible side effect and be more safe than sorry.

I think the reason U.S. vs Japanese standard recommendations are different has to do with availability as well.

I know here in the midwest of the U.S. the restaurants aren't getting super fresh fish, just because of the location compared to say Japan. The hope would be that everything is transported correctly, but who really knows what happens between it being bought and arriving at the restaurant. So, I think I'd take it depending on your location too. I have had cooked rolls once, but really it hasn't sounded appetizing to me at all while pregnant is the real reason I haven't had cooked more.

I have seen the effects of fetal alcohol syndrome in person, working at a school. It is not worth it to me. Some wine or whatever does not mean as much to me as my baby's health. It is not well studied or proven how much alcohol it takes to effect a growing baby. I can give up anything for 10 months to keep my little one safe.

Just for the sake of discussion.. This is a worthwhile read. There's literally no evidence that even having one drink a DAY is harmful, and a study of 400,000 is pretty serious

https://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol/FetalAlcoholSyndrome.html

I'd personally rather have a glass of wine in the third trimester than eat Mercury-laden fish or consume fluoride-ridden water throughout too, though, it's all in what you think is natural I guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->