Swaddling..

jaybee

Mum to Tobias & Alexander
Reaction score
Just wondering if any other mummy to be's are planning to swaddle their baby for the first however long??
If so why and what will you use?

I'm thinking about trying it, because I've heard that most (but not all) babies like it for at least the first couple of weeks. Plus my mum said she did it with me and I loved it!

However, I am not sure what to use..proper swaddling blanket, or any blanket...and how do you actually wrap the baby..is there is particular way?!?!!?!

thanks

you can actually use any blanket, fold one corner down and put the baby on that corner, take one end and wrap around and under baby, bottom part comes up and over the same side and tucked under and then fold the remaining side over and under so the baby is nice and tight but their head is for the most part out so they don't suffocate. they also have blankets built for swaddling too those are easier but you can use any blanket. all 4 of mine so far loved to be swaddled!

I swaddled my DD for 3 months until she could free herself otherwise she NEVER slept! It was fab and helped her go to sleep she had a really strong moro reflex and was waking herself up every 30 minutes when I wouldn't swaddle her :)

you can actually use any blanket, fold one corner down and put the baby on that corner, take one end and wrap around and under baby, bottom part comes up and over the same side and tucked under and then fold the remaining side over and under so the baby is nice and tight but their head is for the most part out so they don't suffocate. they also have blankets built for swaddling too those are easier but you can use any blanket. all 4 of mine so far loved to be swaddled!

Thanks Cindi...how long did you swaddle for?

I'm going to be swaddling as well. I'll just be using a regular blanket. I used to swaddle my nephew when I was helping my sister out with him and he really liked it. I suppose I'll do it until the baby can get itself out of it on their own!

Not sure where you live but they automatically swaddle your baby at the hospital and show you how to as well. I swaddled my baby for months-it was the only thing that made him stop crying. You can buy swaddle sacks that have velcro on them so you don't need to learn any fancy wrapping techniques.

I'll be swaddling :) Might need to do a bit of practising lol. I think I'll do it until the babies start disliking it really. xxx

How bizarre, I've been googling swaddling this afternoon. Has anyone used the grobag swaddles?

My foster mum told me the other day that she swaddled because it helped her kids sleep, and then later in life, her arms around them made them remember it and they seemed to fall asleep then too =S

Oh yeah, I swear by swaddling. I thought it was the norm actually! It never occurred to me that a parent wouldn't! But I guess each baby is different. If I didn't do it, my son wouldn't sleep and would cry and be restless. 100% sold on it. I would wrap him like a burrito, so I would fold up the bottom over his legs, then wrap each of the sides over him and tuck in snugly but not too tight behind his back.

It never occurred to me to stop doing it at any given time. I did it all the time for several months, and once he was bigger and able to get out of it, that was grand too. I would just do it up from the beginning when he started to sleep, and eventually he just grew out of it on his own (meaning that when he came loose, he wouldn't wake and start crying, and just continued to sleep).

my mam told me thats what they use to do years ago. but ive read in my pregnancy mags that they dont recomened it now. i bet these people who say you shouldint swaddle your baby dont actually have kids themselves! xox

Thanks Cindi...how long did you swaddle for?

my daughter had reflux really really bad. so i swaddled her till 3/4 months until she was able to get out of it. but with the other 3 about 2 months and then they didn't like it anymore.

my youngest is 10 months and i still swaddle him to sleep :D

I fold a cellular blanket into a rectangle, lay him slightly off centre, then take the shortest side and tuck it under his back with his arms down over his tummy or his side.
Then I take the longer side and pull that tight and wrap it right around him until it goes no more :D

No need for expensive blankets.

My oldest son was swaddled till he was just under 1 year.

They both loved it.

And this one will be getting the same.

Wow, didn;t realise it was so popular actually. AS OP said I had heard that it was not so recommended now, but didn;t know why.
Definatly going to give it a go andsee if baby likes it.

This means that these baby grow bags (sleeping bag thingies) are not realy needed to begin with then??

I've never heard that it wasn't recommended anywhere...just googled it and couldn't find anything except comments on how to swaddle, opinions on when to stop, and even a link on a SIDS site recommending swaddling! I'm sure someone out there would say it's not good, but I've never been told that and on the contrary, find that it really makes sense to do so as it mimicks the womb which helps baby feel secure. But there are probably some babies that don't like it much, either, so I suppose it's an individual thing in the end.

I've never heard that it wasn't recommended anywhere...just googled it and couldn't find anything except comments on how to swaddle, opinions on when to stop, and even a link on a SIDS site recommending swaddling! I'm sure someone out there would say it's not good, but I've never been told that and on the contrary, find that it really makes sense to do so as it mimicks the womb which helps baby feel secure. But there are probably some babies that don't like it much, either, so I suppose it's an individual thing in the end.
Maybe my babybrain is making things up then!?!?! wouldn;t be the first time!

LOL, I doubt it. The OP heard the same so it's definitely floating around out there somewhere...lol... just surprising cause I've never run across it before. Maybe it's more of an 'opinion' thing than an official statement, sort of like opinions on breastfeeding versus bottle feeding, etc.. :)

LOL, I doubt it. The OP heard the same so it's definitely floating around out there somewhere...lol... just surprising cause I've never run across it before. Maybe it's more of an 'opinion' thing than an official statement, sort of like opinions on breastfeeding versus bottle feeding, etc.. :)

true, now that is a can of worms!! big wiggly ones!

Sofia was swaddled by the nurses in hospital and she LOVED it until she was about 8 weeks old and then she decided enough was enough - but by then we were in Barcelona and it was very hot so maybe that was why.

Anyway, in hospital and at home I just took a cellular blanket brought one corner down until it nearly touched the other corner so you've got a triangle, place baby in middle and wrap one "point" under her bum and then bring the other "point" over and tuck it tightly under her.

When it was hotter I used big muslin squares. Personally I didn't get on with the special swaddling wraps, never fitted as well as a traditional blanket.

My sisters two hated being swaddled though so I guess it's not for every baby.. another reason not to spend extra money on a special wrap until you know yours likes it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSYPqGtFBYQ

This should help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"