Swimming pools and babies?

D

Divinebeauty

How old does baby have to be to go in the pool? Ava is just over 3 months is she too young?? its sooo hot here! Also anyone know the temp the water has to be/???

Thank you!!

Mariciana xx

Never too young to take swimming! As long as the water isnt freezing x

I find that if the water is below 30 Logan needs to wear his wetsuit otherwise he gets cold very quickly. I take one of his favourite bath toys xx

I have heard different things about taking babies swimming, i think im going to wait till maybe she is 6 months tho as she will be more aware then & maybe be able to sit up by herself

I take my LO swimming twice a week and she loves it. We only go in for maximum of 10 minutes but I think you can't start them early enough. The temp of our pools are about the same as a tepid bath. x

We're taking LO for his first swimming lesson next week - never too young to get them used to water! They say anything under 30 degrees they need a wetsuit really and no longer than about 30 mins in the water. X

My LO is 2 months and will be learning to swim very soon. The younger you teach them, the better. The best is early because they do not know to be afraid of the water. This lack of fear is the problem with kids falling in and drowning. Teach them to swim young, very young, and you make this problem smaller. I'm not saying that it's okay to leave your child unattended, no child should be left unattended in the water. But the younger you start the better. Babies will actually automatically doggypaddle in the water. It's reflex.

Fran was about 9wks old when we first took her swimming. There is no age limit and you don't even have to wait until after their first jabs xx

My LO is 2 months and will be learning to swim very soon. The younger you teach them, the better. The best is early because they do not know to be afraid of the water. This lack of fear is the problem with kids falling in and drowning. Teach them to swim young, very young, and you make this problem smaller. I'm not saying that it's okay to leave your child unattended, no child should be left unattended in the water. But the younger you start the better. Babies will actually automatically doggypaddle in the water. It's reflex.

Totally agree with this. My mum and dad started me swimming very young and I've always loved the water. I often joke that I could swim before I could walk lol.

It is 100 degrees today. We are taking my SD swimming later but my parents will keep the baby cuz it's too much sun for her today. But it will be VERY soon cuz this mommy wants to go swimming. >.<

I got told I couldn't take LO swimming until she had her last jabs :shrug:
we've still not got around to taking her, but thats down to my fear of water :flower:

I got told I couldn't take LO swimming until she had her last jabs :shrug:
we've still not got around to taking her, but thats down to my fear of water :flower:

It's in the NHS birth to five book that you don't have to wait until after their jabs before you can take them swimming xxx

Been taking LO since he was 6 weeks old with Water babies. Just also joined council lessons so he's having 2 lessons a week at 5 months old. Also has a bath every night......he loves being in the water and is so confident with going under water.

The myth about the jabs/shot is when they thought Polio was a water bourne disease...it isn't..

so there is no problem with chlorine and babies skin then? Thats why I thought that she couldnt go swimming yet..

You can take LO swimming when they are 12 weeks+ or over 12lb whichever comes first (jabs aren't an issue) and the water has to be 30 degrees if not LO will need to wear a wet suit.

You can get wet suits with floats round the middle off the web

Hope this helps x

I think it depends on the pool, I think holiday swimming pools are a nono because they can have all sorts of bugs in.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-463170/Pools-swimming-30-types-bacteria.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"