Swimming

chysantheMUM

Reaction score
Yesterday I took my little girl swimming for the first time. I was a bit apprehensive about going and have put it off for a few weeks now because I was afraid she'd scream the place down. But I also thought she might just love it, so bit the bullet and took her. Anyway, to cut a long story short, she screamed the place down and we won't be doing that again (well not for a few months anyway). But the thing I noticed was that in the baby pool, it said the temperature was 30 but mine and other LO's were shivering and it was a bit on the cool side I thought :shrug: So I was wondering, what is the optimum swimming pool temperature, what is it like where your LOs swim?

Babies under 6months should ideally be in 30+ temp water.
What did you put LO in. I would suggest, a wetsuit type thing (amazon sell them), this keeps them that bit warmer and easier to hold in my experience.

Please don't give up on swimming, try a differeent pool perhaps or ask them to check the temp.

Did you have her in a baby float or anythng? Best just to hold her so the water covers her, keep low in the water and just bounce around or let her float.
Have you thought about swimming classes with her. I started at 12w and she is now 9months and loves it. They will show you different activities to do with her to keep her active and therefore warmer in the water.

Thank you for your reply, I do feel like giving up on the idea for now, it was a traumatic expererience to be honest. The only time shes screamed like that before was when she had her jabs :nope: Anyway, we had her in a little wetsuit that I bought of ebay and we were actually there as part of a baby swim class, so trying to do activities, which I thought she'd really enjoy, especially the bouncing and singing etc but she just wouldn't calm down. So I'll probbably give it another go when shes about 6 months but definately feel like it needs to be warmer for her, she is a fussy baby anyway :winkwink:

Yeah I would get her a wee wetsuit like the other poster suggested. Make sure u take her when she is most alert. I feed junior he gos 4 a sleep then 2 hrs after his feed he's swimming that's what works 4 me. B4 I started taking him 2 his wee swim class I took him and got 1 of they float chairs and I water book he like the float and if he started getting grumpy he liked slapping and hitting the water with his book lol. He loves it now dosnt even bat a eyelid when he's dunked under the water. Don't give up might just take a few wee go s till ur LO get used 2 it and it could b that the water was 2 cold 4 her xx

My husband just started to take my son for swimming lessons (it's almost winter time here so he wants him to be ready for the summer). At first he absolutely wanted nothing to do with the water, but after about 15 minutes he didn't want to come out! =) He just had his second class yesterday and what a difference, he loves it! Definitely don't give up. I am not sure the water temp but its warm for sure!

32/33 degrees seems to be what is recommended. Maybe your lo was cold?

my lo seemed cold too and wasnt as warm as i expected. he loves baths so couldnt wait to go but he didnt enjoy it as much. i bought a swim wrap thats meant to keep them warm for next time but its a bit of an odd shape and looks uncomfy. id deff try gettin somethin to keep them warm though then maybe she'll enjoy it a bit more

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->