Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Pops, Dec 11, 2009.
Have any of you had it yet? What are your thoughts on it?
I got offered to have it last week but declined. After reading things about it, Ive decided to have it in the 2nd tri.
I have been told by my midwife that the doctors surgery will get in contact to offer it. I just don't know what to do! I guess when they do get round to offering it I will have to look more seriously into it, but it does scare me a bit! I am just not sure of what to do for the best!
What are your thoughts Pops, you been offered it yet? x
I will definetly be having it as swine flu can be dangerous to mum and baby if you catch it. But I will be waiting until after the first trimester so that all the major development is complete. For just incase it did have any effect.
But as a student midwife many women I have spoken to have had it late on in pregnancy and then gave birth and had no problems. But then you hear stories of the women who have not had the jab, delivered and then died or been seriously ill.
So I will have it after 12 weeks. As then baby will have some immunity when he/she is born too.
But its a very hard decision and there is no wrong and right one. It is very personal and individual. So just do what is right for you x
I've had it already, but I had the version without the adjuvant which is available in Canada for women in their first trimester. I also got the flu shot for the first time, the version for pregnant women.
I have autoimmune which puts me at greater risk of contracting any illness and my province was hit hard by H1N1. Last year I fell in love with jujitsu and had to stop, I got sick after every class, including catching staph (the first person ever at the facility as they sanitize and are extremely cautious).
It's a very personal decision and you have to do what you feel is right for you.
I'm not sure sweets. I need to talk to Boyo some more about it.
I'm all for MMRs for babys etc so I feel like I should but I don't feel well informed enough on this score.
i opted not to have it as my doctor said that he was not happy me having it as one of the things init is not good for pregnancy. However this is my choice. Im niot in a high risk area and infact the amount of people that have it are dropping. But you need to decide the risks like if you dont have it and get it and get seriously ill or worse you or your baby die. Or you do get it and then you have a side effect or they realise that in a few years that it has infact caused damage like other injections and drugs they have brought out that they said where safe. I think there was one that was meant to help moirning sickness that had bad side effects. I would always say to speck to your doctor or midiwife and decide from there. It was a hard decision that played on my mind
Yes I had it and I don't think it's a big deal either way. Don't stress yourself over it too much, just go with your gut feeling.
I had it as I suffer from Asthma (and actually now know I had it 4 days after conceiving). I am glad I had it as I would be seriously ill if I were to catch it, plus I am a teacher surrounded by germy children!
i got given it yesterday when i was at te docs confirming my pregnancy but im also asthmatic x
Hi all... Just popping over from third tri to offer my opinion and a bit of advice....
I had the jab a few weeks ago. I was initially dead against it but following my getting a stinking cold and it really knocking me for six because I couldn't take any 'usual' cold/flu remedies (I didn't quite realise how much pregnancy affected my immune system) AND the fact I work in a school where lots of germs fly about, we decided to go for it.
It didn't hurt (apart from an aching arm for a few days after) and baby has been just as active ever since. I still cried my eyes out on my way home from the Doctors though, wondering whether I'd made the right decision.
However, my sister (a student midwife) sent me through a brief that has been issued to all UK nurses and midwives regarding the advice they should give their patients. It has put my mind at rest no end. (If you want me to send you through a copy, please PM... I don't want to clog up too many threads by posting it everywhere - it's pretty lengthy!)
I still think that despite all of this, if I were in first tri I would probably still hold off until at least 13weeks or so. It is however a very personal opinion but given how much worry you're probably already working through, one less thing can only be a good thing in my eyes! I'd probably think about it at 14 weeks or so... No right or wrong, but I hope you all come to the best decision for you.
Yeh I know what you mean, I am with you there on the MMR, but I just haven't had a good look into the swine flu jab! Oh I just don't know!
Wasnt that the thalidamide drug? I only know as I have been watching "Cast offs" and there's a guy on there that was affected by that.
It's so hard to know what to do for the best considering it is so new and has not been out long enough for us to make an easy decision. Also, we don't get offered the seasonal flu which from what I understand can be just as dangerous decisions decisions xx
Thalidomide was the drug that caused horrendous birth defects in late 50's to early 60's. My mum was one of those but she was 'very lucky' as she ended up with a deformed thumb on one hand and had a few eye problems which was also related.
Im not sure what to do for the best after seeing first hand what can happen. Obviously I dont want to get swine flu and then wither me or my baby be at risk but i equally dont want to take something that could possibly cause unknown problems (aarrrggghhh!!!).
I think it is deffinately a personal choice as to whether to take it or not and i am just so unsure of what to do. My midwife didn't mention the jab and i havent yet received a letter to say i can have one so i will wait and see.
im not having it personal choice i think but if your looking for threads with peoples reason to have it or not then theres a few in 2nd tri and in 3rd i think
I think its perfectly safe. I had the shot over a month ago and didn't have any side effects. I'm really glad that I had the shot now because I suspect that my husband has been sick with the swine flu for the past week or so and all I got was sniffles for 2 days because my body knew how to fight it off. He's a house husband too, so just about the only place he could have picked it up was at the grocery store.
The non adjuvent hini shot is the one for pregnant woman it is perfectly safe. If you only have access to the other one with adjuvent I was told to wait till 2nd tri even though there have been no issues with it and it has less mercury in it then a can of tuna which is the difference between the two by the way, one has mercury one doesn't. I strongly advise women to get it especially if pregnant as we are the highest risk group for contracting hini. I was lucky and got mine cd 3 of the cycle I got pregnant. It's ultimately your choice but don't turn it down cause you don't know enough about it, go find out the info you need to protect yourself and your little one.
i had it when i was 8 weeks pregnant and saw my gorgeous little bean jumping about at my dating scan on tuesday! It s definately a personal choice, i work in a nursery n kids carry and catch everything! No way i'd put myself and baby at risk from Swine Flu, my gp, midwife and nurse at the early pregnancy unit all told me i had to get it! x