Swine Flu Jab

C

carolyn_s

Hi all,
Im 10 weeks pregnant and havent been offered the swine flu jab, im not even sure if i want it.
I had swine flu about 3 months ago and felt awful so i am dreading catching it again while im pregnant.
Has anyone had the jab? side affects?
just looking for some general advice...thanks everyone xxx

apparently you dont get it twice. (swine flu that is)
I havent been offered the jab either but even if I do get offered it i wont be having it.

i had the jab when i was about 9 weeks pregnant, was strongly advised to get it from nurse at epu, midwife and my gp...personal decision but my bubs is going strong despite having it x

I am undecided as to having it or not. I really really dont know.

I am not getting the jab but that decision is based purely on a strong gut instict I have not to get it! No arguement against it other than that!

I hadnt even thought about swineflu!!

I guess when I see my GP re this preg I will see if they offer it to me. And if they do I will take it as I go back to work in February after last LO mat leave and work in a hospital where there have been quite a few cases so thinking it might be for the best. That said my friend had swine flu when she was preg but she was later along and her and baby are fine.....hmmmm who knows eh?:shrug:

Emma.xx

I was booked in to have it at 9 weeks and I couldnt bring myself to get it, Like Beadette its a gut thing. I may review this but I wasnt having in in the 1st tri.

I think you need to go with you instincts. XX

Well, I was offered the vaccine at 6 weeks at my doctors and I accepted it. My daughter got hers at the same time. I had my scan a few days later and had the opportunity to ask my consultant (who looked after my previous pregnancies) and she said it is fine to have the vaccine at this time.

It's a personal decision. I just didn't think my GP and consultant would let me risk it especially after my recent loss.

As the others said, you need to go with your instincts.

I wouldn't let anyone put that poison inside of me pregnant or not! but that's just me and I strongly believe that it's a decision only you can make and nobody should tell you what to do. Go with your gut hun!

Im getting it on the 4th, so should be about 14 weeks by then.
I have ds, and I am a Childminder so have triple the amounts of usual colds/illnesses that come into the house with mindee's and their parents, and in the end decided that if it could possibly save my life and save my ds from loosing a mother, then it is a risk Im having to take.
Of course I care/worry about the growing baby inside me - but I have to think about ds who is already here ...... he also gets quite poorly with colds etc. so I hope that he will be offered it soon too.

When the whole swine flu thing came out in the news, I had a right old panic and was praying that there would be a vaccine - now there is - so I have to think how I would feel if there wasnt one available, Im sure Id be really wanting it.

I had my swine flu jab at about 5 weeks. The nurse told me that the side effects if I had any would be a sore arm and maybe feel a little poorly for a few days with a temperature.

I didn't feel unwell but I did have a bad headache the next day and my arm was very sore for days and couldn't lift it or move it.

It is entirely your choice hun, just do what you feel is best for you and for bubs. I don't think you can catch swine flu again after having it once already.

:hugs:

the only thing that worries me is that they dont know what it can do to the baby...there have neen no babies born yet whos mothers have had the vaccine so how can they say its safe??

the only thing that worries me is that they dont know what it can do to the baby...there have neen no babies born yet whos mothers have had the vaccine so how can they say its safe??

I feel like you tashalina. My sister-in-law is due anytime now and her midwife said exactly that & that she wouldn't recommend it because no babies had been born yet after their mothers had the jab.

Also, the midwife's husband was, at the time, in bed with swine flu, whilst she was looking after pg women and SHE hasn't even had the jab!

God knows what I'm going to decide!

If you had swine flu and it was confirmed by a lab test then you cannot catch the same strain again. I know a large majority of pregnant women with suspected swine flu were never lab tested and have been offerd the jab-me included.

If you do have it you can get a headache and a swelling over the jab area.

Its a very personnel decision whether to have it or not, i would just suggest that you do research and come up with your own conclusion

Thanks guys i appreciate all the posts. i wasnt lab tested... and i did hear that becuase its just like any other flu you can catch it twice.
I have been told that the jab will give you a sore arm for a week or so but thats it... im still not convinced... dont think i will have it even if offered ... xx

if youv had swine flu already you will have prob already made anti bodies from it! :)

xx

i havent been told about the jab either. i have my first midwife appointment on 29th so i might ask about it. my sister had swine flu a few months ago and i didnt catch it from her then, ive not had it but a few people i know have had it.....it doesnt worry me too much to be honest but i didnt know they were giving jabs to pregnant people. :wacko:

Hi, I had my flu jab today I am 15 weeks; I have been refusing it, but I started to worry about pregnant women being in hospital with it. Still not sure how I feel about it, but it is done now... I am a little worried, but I cannot change it now... I just hope all will be okay x

I definitely won't be having the flu jab. I have had swine flu, whether I'd had it or not I would not have the jab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"