Swine Flu Jab

With my last pregnancy I was on the then GMTV discussing this exact subject.

We do not know the long term implications of the jab yet is my opinion and some of the ingredients are a bit dodgy i feel personally.

The Dr who appeared with me said she would have it if she were pregnant but after the show, off camera, she said I had a good point and we do not know what the side affects may be in 10 years time, she was not sure she would actually take it if pregnant.

I believe it is a very personal choice and would neve influence anyone not to have it but I never with my last baby and I will not with this baby either.

My doctor highly recommended it because they have had some pregnant women who got swine flu while pregnant and became very ill and had a very hard time fighting it. I went ahead and got it yesterday. My arm is currently hurting VERY VERY VERY badly. :(
Oh well I guess.

It is hard; I have had the swine flu vaccine today, but because I was feeling unwell and recent media around pregnant women dying made me thinkg but I have to say I am a little worried, but it is unchangeable now!! It is hard to know what the wrong or right thing is to do x

I work in a hospital and while I felt pressured last year into getting it, I won't get it this year. It is totally a personal decision but for myself with a few of the studies I've seen it doesn't appear that the vaccine has made an incredible difference. That and the fact that my dad had the regular flu vaccine 4 years in a row and got hit each year really hard. I can be a bit of a worrywart though and I guess I'm just more concerned about the effect that the vaccine may have on my baby moreso than getting the swine flu. Probably worrying for nothing though and it does concern me that I'm more exposed to germs/viruses working in a hospital. They are very ra-ra here about any vaccine (I work in Infectious Disease but back in the office) so I'm going to have to be creative with getting out of it this time lol...

Hi everyone

I'm having the jab on Monday. Wasn't sure but after my mum's cousin's daughter died from swine flue the other week at 6 months pregnant, I think I'm doing it for her as she's panicking about me. They did manage to save the baby - so tragic. Good luck everybody. x

I'm having mine tomorrow morning .. there are arguments either way, but as I work in schools and come into contact with hundreds of children a week, a bit of extra protection can't help!

I had mine last night......I have no side affects, just an achy arm....I feel every pregnant woman should have it....anythign to protect your unvorn child right? x

had mine yesterday. I don't come in to contact with many people, but getting on a plane in about 6 weeks and a alway pick something up :/ bit of a sore arm today but I think thats more from the blood they took then anything.

I wasnt offered one either. But i called my GP and was booked in for the next day.

Glad ive had mine now.

I had mine done on yesterday. I feel fine, no temp or sore arm. I thought long and hard about it, and decided that the pros outweighed the cons.

Fergie Xx

Its really wierd how everything has changed!

Last year i was pregnant and discussing the same subject on these forums. Hardly anyone was having the jab, this year nearly everyone is!

x

This article is good reading

https://www.webmd.boots.com/cold-and-flu/news/20100919/be-prepared-this-years-flu-jab-available-soon

I normally get a flu jab every year because I'm asthmatic but I'm undecided whether to get the swine flu jab. My sister recently told me this story that kinda made my mind up for me (she's a nurse in my local hospital).
A 19 year old girl was brought into intensive care due to swine flu and she was 8 months pregnant. She was comatose for 2 months (during which the doctors gave her c-section and delivered the baby) When she awoke she had suffered from memory loss and the doctors had to introduce her to her new baby but she couldn't even remember being pregnant, the girls mum was looking after the baby while her daughter was in hospital.

My sister (the nurse) said herself that she would never get the swine flu jab even though she faces it everyday in work but this story definitely encouraged me to get the jab.
When you pregnant your more susceptible to getting flu's and viruses but It is a tough subject and everyone has there own opinion. Do what you think is best :)

I got mine yesterday. I didnt have it last year when i was pregnant with Eli. But my chest has been terrible last few months. I have bad asthma and it gets worse with pregnancy. I did ask my doctor if his wife was pregnant wether he would recommend it and he said he would for definate. My arm is very painfull and im feeling a bit under the wether today but nothing too bad. Its a personal choice.:hugs:

I would strongly suggest you get the jab, im 14 weeks and had mine done a few weeks ago, baby is still fine. The number of people dying from flu is rising, and your immune system is much lower when you are pregnant. The vaccine is the same as the one given out last year, I think a few people would have come forward now if there were problems with their babies. My midwife highly recomended getting it, and in my NHS pregnancy book, it advises that, because it is not a live vaccine it is extremely safe.

If there were high risks, the doctors would not let you have it, seeing as they wont even let you take nurophen when pregnant. It is a personal choice, but there have been some devastating stories about pregnant women dying and losing their babies, its enough to make me have it. I dont regret my decision at all.

I wouldn't get it. But that is only because I get so paranoid over any type of medication.

It just seems that the side effects are always way worse than what it is trying to help!

Course' that is only my opinion :)

I would strongly suggest you get the jab, im 14 weeks and had mine done a few weeks ago, baby is still fine. The number of people dying from flu is rising, and your immune system is much lower when you are pregnant. The vaccine is the same as the one given out last year, I think a few people would have come forward now if there were problems with their babies. My midwife highly recomended getting it, and in my NHS pregnancy book, it advises that, because it is not a live vaccine it is extremely safe.

If there were high risks, the doctors would not let you have it, seeing as they wont even let you take nurophen when pregnant. It is a personal choice, but there have been some devastating stories about pregnant women dying and losing their babies, its enough to make me have it. I dont regret my decision at all.

It's worth noting that anybody getting the Celvapan injection (rather than Pandemrix due to egg allergies) will be exposed to anti-inflammatory products, which are similar to Nurofen. Doctors won't allow us to take Nurofen when pregnant but are urging us to take a vaccine which contains something from the same group of medicines....anyone taking either vaccine needs to check everything in it and make an informed decision afterwards. Sadly for me I'm allergic to eggs AND anti-inflammatories, meaning I can't take either vaccine.

I would personally suggest taking the jab. I have had swine flu before and was told that even though you've had it once you can get it again, something to do with the virus being able to adapt. I myself would rather take the small risk of having the jab, than face the greater risk of catching it and being seriously ill.

I had it a week ago and the baby is fine. I myself had a very sore arm for a day or to after, and did feel a bit achy the next day, but that was it. I would've preffered one day of feeling rough, than being hospitalised and having my loved ones go through the stress and worry that so many other families have been through over the last few weeks.

I had mine today - still feeling fine! (Which was good, as I wasn't looking forwards to leading choir tomorrow with a stiff arm)

Talking to my nurse today, she said that she has had it already and would have it if she were pregnant - it isn't just swine flu, there are 3 strains of flu they are targeting with the current vaccine, and that the group which seems to be affected most this time are pregnant women and going into labor early. Obv I didn't ask for figures and studies on this, but thought I would replort what I had been told.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->