Switching Docs at the End

dreamingbyday

Reaction score
I guess this goes out to all the moms with at least one child already. We are moving in 5-7 months. Nothing I can do about it. Sooo...I get to switch providers in my third trimester and have a baby at a hospital that I have no experience with. Anyone else had to deal with this? How did it go? Any special recommendations? I can pick my doctor or midwife, more or less, from a preselected clinic that I have no choice in picking. I'm freaking out a little bit and upset. I was hoping that we'd get to stay until after the baby was born but that's not likely :/

Where in the world are you?

Honestly don't worry about it. I had to do it last pregnancy at 33 weeks due to an employer insurance change. The only hassle I had was getting an initial appointment but after crying and screaming down the phone the idiot secretary realised I needed to be seen immediately and not in 5 weeks time. Just make sure you print off any medical records relevant to your pregnancy as it will help your new doctor out.

Other than that my experience of the switch was great.

I switched at 32 weeks last time. I had no problems and liked my Doctor. :)

I wasn't that far along, but I switched shortly after the gender scan each time. The first time was due to an insurance change, I was something like 24 weeks. And I LOVED the new office sooo much better, as it turned out. I wasn't happy exactly with the office already, it was a 2 doctor practice and while I liked my doctor, I hated her partner. And the lady at the desk who scheduled appointments was really shitty that I would only take Friday appointments (That was my weekly day off). I was nervous about switching, because it was changing hospitals and everything, but it definitely was great.

The second time, I started at one office because not only had I moved, but I had no insurance at the time and they did a cash discount. I loved the staff completely and once I got insurance, I didn't plan on changing until I found out that the hospital they delivered at did not allow VBACs at all, not in any case. They would only do a cesarean at 39 weeks (or earlier!!). So even though it was further away now, I transferred back to my other doctor (my second office). In the end, I never went into labor (and they won't induce a VBAC) so it was a second cesarean at 41+1. But at least they were going to let me try!

That third doctors office I would've stayed with had it not been for the hospital policy (the doctor herself told me that she would personally recommend the VBAC but she wasn't allowed to) but my baby got to 'bake' for two extra weeks because of my change.

Ask for a copy of your medical records in advance, or if possible, have your new office fax over a request for records. You'll have to sign to approve the request, but in my limited experience, they transfer records directly to the new office faster than they get a copy to you.

Good luck and I hope you love your new office!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->