switching from breastmilk to formula

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by lynz, Oct 1, 2008.

1. lynz

lynz mum of 2 princesses

my daughter has been exclusively breastfed from birth but im now wondering how to get her onto formula as expressing when i go back to work isnt an option. I did try her with a small amount of formula today just out of curiosity (sma gold) and she turned her nose up at it and refused to take it and cried till i put her on my boob. Im just wondering how you ladies managed it?

2. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

It's meant to be pretty much impossible after 6 weeks.. Keep trying!!

3. leeanne

leeanne Mom of 3 and Stepmom of 2

Weaning can be a difficult process for many babies. With my daughter, I tried different formulas, different nipples and bottles and finally she took to a bottle after a month and a 1/2.

There's no easy answer but to just keep trying.

4. lynz

lynz mum of 2 princesses

i have just been looking on the internet and it says you can combine breastmilk and formula in the same bottle. Im guessing you would mix up the formula first then add the breastmilk. Using mostly breastmilk at first then gradually reducing it so its just formula
    Anyone done this?

5. Whisper

Whisper Mummy to DD & DS

Just wondering but when are you going back to work? If it isn't for a while could you not express and stock pile your milk for her?

6. 1st_baby

1st_baby Guest

I mixed my milk with formula for the last month of him BF and he did seem to take it much better ..I also used the playtex drop in bottles with the natural latch nipple ..it helps as its very close the the mothers nipple

7. Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie I adore my 3 children !!!

It helps to get someone else to give the bottle, as she associates you with boob. :hug:

8. lynz

lynz mum of 2 princesses

do you breastfeed now or exclusively formula feed and how did you mix it did you reduce the amount of breast milk daily

9. 1st_baby

1st_baby Guest

I stopped BF about 3 days ago as I got a nasty cold and had to take medicine ..he used to get 3 onz of breast milk and 1 onz formula for about 2 weeks then the next 2 weeks I would put 1 onz breast milk and the rest formula ..I also changed formulas a few times

BTW max never latched on right from the start so I never made enough milk hence why he got formula from day 3 of his life :( but hes a happy baby now

I went from nestle good start to parents choice from walmart ..its sweeter