switching to powder?

passengerrach

mummy to kai
Reaction score
hi everyone i use sma gold in the ready made cartons and i want to switch to the powder because its cheaper in the long run and not so heavy to carry when im shopping lol.
have a few questions though.
how do u make the feeds?
can you make a whole days worth of feeds or do u have to boil the kettle each time you need to make a bottle?
and if you can just make all the days feeds in one go do u store them in the fridge?
on second thoughts just tell me everything about using the powder lol

Hi,

You just sterilise the bottles like you have been, and for each ounce of water you do one scoop of formula. You have to make up each bottle one at a time now, as the UK and Irish governments recommend that the water cools to no less than 70 degrees C when you add the formula now (which is about 30 minutes).

I make them up as I go along and have a good little routine sorted. I have in the fridge 4 oz boiled water ready. I then boil the kettle, set an alarm for 15 mins and then use 4 oz boiled water, add my 8 scoops and shake. Then add the pre cooled water from the fridge, thus having bottle at a drinkable temp and no need to wait for it to cool. Then from same kettle I replace the 4 oz and add back to fridge ready for next feed. Luckily Liss most of the time sticks to her routine and bottle is ready and waiting for her when she requests it. I make sure bottle is ready on time but if she sleeps longer than 45 mins past it being made, I start over (Thats rare though!!!)
This works for me, but I know it would be harder for most ppl.

Quite honestly, hon, if you are going to try switching from liquid to powder, just buy a small tin for now.

Chase has been on liquid formula and when I did try the powder, he hated it and spat up more because of it.

Another thing I would suggest is buying the concentrated liquid. You can get more bottles made out of one can and it is cheaper than the ready to feed. I also found it easier to make bottles with the concentrated - equal halves of formula to water.

Quite honestly, hon, if you are going to try switching from liquid to powder, just buy a small tin for now.

Chase has been on liquid formula and when I did try the powder, he hated it and spat up more because of it.

Another thing I would suggest is buying the concentrated liquid. You can get more bottles made out of one can and it is cheaper than the ready to feed. I also found it easier to make bottles with the concentrated - equal halves of formula to water.

I agree with the small tin, and you can get them with SMA, or even a pack of sachets (boots do them).

I dont think we have the concentrated liquid in England hun, Iv never seen it, unless you are in England then I am wrong.

I agree with the small tin, and you can get them with SMA, or even a pack of sachets (boots do them).

I dont think we have the concentrated liquid in England hun, Iv never seen it, unless you are in England then I am wrong.

Really? You'd think if they had ready to feed cartons, then they would have the concentrated liquid.

I live in Canada and we have all types.

I don't make bottles up as we go, never have. I make a days worth of feeds every evening and store them in the fridge, reheating as needed (and I've always used powder)

I know you would think wouldnt you, I was telling my dh that you have liquid concentrate formula and we both agree its a fab idea.

Vickie I have always made the way you do too, but just recently the advice on the tin has changed, I still did it my way (naughty Mummy not following advice lol) as I saw my older two were fine that way, as she is older now and has three bottles a day I make the breakfast and evening bottle up as suggested, and the same for lunchtime unless I am out then I use a carton.

I make up they days bottles and store them in the fridge. I boil the kettle wait about 15 mins for it to cool, put in 8oz of water then add 8 level scoops of formula (just in case you didnt know btw you have to the level the scoop off with a flat edge, we use plastic knives with a flat edge.) Then shake the bottle. then when the milk has cooled a bit, stick them in the fridge, but not in the door of the fridge they have to be in the main bit. the heat up a feed when needed. hope that helped xx

My health visitor told me to use a thermos flask (which doesn't need to be sterilised) so I boil the kettle and pour water into that striaght away, it keeps the water warm enough for any overnight feeds and I use it if I'm going out and know that I won't be back in time to boil the kettle for his next feed.

The powder sounds like a pain in the backside but you soon get used to it and find a routine that works for you xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->