Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD)

welshwarriors

Joseph & Charlotte's Mum
Reaction score
I got diagnosed with it on Friday. Physio have me crutches and a bump support. My GP gave me some pain meds.

Ive got a 20 month old son, so there is not much time for resting.

Any advice what helped you with the pain and how you made life easier for yourself?! :flower:

i cant help much but the only thing that may ease it is sitting on a gym/birthing ball but this only works occasionly for me but its better than never x

Ive got it hun
Im on codine and paracetamol for it (and because my twins are ripping my abdominal muscles)
they say to keep active with it or youll seize up, being in the pool really helps as it gives you the weightless sensation
also physio, crutches and the tubular bandage helps

Im like you in the fact ive got young kids at home and cant rest much, try not to sit you little one on your hip as it aggrevates it

GP gave me the same painmeds.

The crutches are really awkward aren't they, expecially when you got a pram to push as well. lol But I defo think they are helping.

I got a physio appointment next monday where she will give me some exercises to do.

I might try a birthing ball.

Thanks x

I had it and nothing helped...it started at 9 weeks with clicky hips and by full term,I used to scream out in pain when trying to turn over in bed :(

The only thing I found that helped a bit was showers,at full term I was having about 6 a day!A bath was nice to start with,but you get stuck in the same position and it ends up being more painful.

Have you asked your MW for a bump support?they are meant to help.xxx

The midwife wasnt helpful at all...she told me it was too early to send me to physio to get me a bump support etc. So one morning I just called the medcentre and the doc there refered me straight away to physio and I now got a bump support and crutches.

Aww Mrs G, it must be awful, especial with little Joe to deal with also. Look after yourself. Have you got help while Mr G is away? x

I have it too...I absolutley hate it!

I try and go to the swimming baths atleast 3 times a week just to take the weight off my back.

I also use hot water bottles and a V shaped pillow.

Try not to stay on your back for too long either I find lying down on the sofa a nightmare so I usually try and sit up straight with my legs crossed.

I know the pelvic supports are only usful for when you are stood up so I bought myself some from New Look which go under your clothes and you can wear them sitting down!

They are also good to sick a water bottle in as it keeps it in place.

Aww Mrs G, it must be awful, especial with little Joe to deal with also. Look after yourself. Have you got help while Mr G is away? x

Well Rob decided yesterday (without talking to me 1st) that its better that he comes off the cadre course....I was beyond p*ssed tbh, cause the next one is in September so he's leaving me for 8 weeks with a 2 month old and a 25 month old - Nightmare. But I'm making him pay for it, he can do ALL the housework now. lol

I have it too...I absolutley hate it!

I try and go to the swimming baths atleast 3 times a week just to take the weight off my back.

I also use hot water bottles and a V shaped pillow.

Try not to stay on your back for too long either I find lying down on the sofa a nightmare so I usually try and sit up straight with my legs crossed.

I know the pelvic supports are only usful for when you are stood up so I bought myself some from New Look which go under your clothes and you can wear them sitting down!

They are also good to sick a water bottle in as it keeps it in place.

I wish I could go swimming properly, bt got nobody to look after LO :nope:

I defo found the waterbottle helped a lot, good idea popping it into the bump support lol

I had it with two of my pregnancies, just take what they offer you and don't give yourself a hard time when there's stuff you can't manage.

Is your son at nursery? If he isn't might be worth seeing if you can sign him up for a few sessions to give yourself a break.

I had it with two of my pregnancies, just take what they offer you and don't give yourself a hard time when there's stuff you can't manage.

Is your son at nursery? If he isn't might be worth seeing if you can sign him up for a few sessions to give yourself a break.

Nope hes not and I think hes a bit too young for nursery anyway. It would be a nightmare getting him there anyway, cause I don't drive so it wouldn't be a big help really.

I also had his and had to do the school run twice a day and I must admit the slow walk to school normally takes me 5 mins it took me 25 mins in the end helped ease the pain a little, I had the same pain relief but it just didnt ease the pain xx

Well Rob decided yesterday (without talking to me 1st) that its better that he comes off the cadre course....I was beyond p*ssed tbh, cause the next one is in September so he's leaving me for 8 weeks with a 2 month old and a 25 month old - Nightmare. But I'm making him pay for it, he can do ALL the housework now. lol

Oh no, your joking!!! I remember Chloes Dad went to Iraq for 6 mnths when she was 4 months old. He had all his iraq training in Germany and we were in Edinburgh at the time so I went thro so much of the pregnancy and Chloes first year on my own. Obviously I only had Chloe but I also had PND so I went home for 6 months!

If I was still there I would help, we could have kept each other company eh! But yeah housework is a start lol x Thinking of you :kiss:

I was diagnosed with spd yesterday and have nothing to help yet, I've got to wait for the physio to contact me, I'm in agony and I've been covering it up for weeks so family wouldn't worry but I just can't anymore. How can I come to terms with having my pregnancy ruined? I feel so guilty that I'm so down when I have a healthy baby boy growing in me but when the pains this bad I secretly wish I'd never even gotten pregnant which makes me feel even worse as I'm such an awful person I'd wish this beautiful innocent little baby away just so I don't have to feel pain. I love my son already and I don't know where to turn.
How can I stop it hurting?

I am diagnosed with this and I am not convinced. What does it feel like for you. I feel period pain like cramps, sharp shooting pains in my pelvis and it hurts do bad when baby moves. I also get waves of agonizing pain which feels like early contractions - but apparently they aren't.

I was diagnosed with spd yesterday and have nothing to help yet, I've got to wait for the physio to contact me, I'm in agony and I've been covering it up for weeks so family wouldn't worry but I just can't anymore. How can I come to terms with having my pregnancy ruined? I feel so guilty that I'm so down when I have a healthy baby boy growing in me but when the pains this bad I secretly wish I'd never even gotten pregnant which makes me feel even worse as I'm such an awful person I'd wish this beautiful innocent little baby away just so I don't have to feel pain. I love my son already and I don't know where to turn.
How can I stop it hurting?

Aww hun...I think having so much pain in your 1st pregnancy can really put you off being ever pregnant again. Fx the physio can give a bumpsupport and some other things to help you though the next few weeks.
A warm hot water bottle really seems to help me and just laying on the couch doing nothing. I walked around tescos the day before yesterday with hubby and I'm still feeling it now. He doesnt get how much pain it is and that he has to stop moaning when I ask him to do something. :nope:
Just take it easy and ask for help if you need it. :flower:

Could someone explain to me what SPD is and how you know if you have it?

SPD is where the 3 joints in your pelvis loosen and start to move against one another, it causes a lot of instability and pain when moving you legs, ie, walking upstairs, standing on one leg etc.

I had SPD in my last pregnancy and was induced at 35weeks. NHS physio did nothing to help last time but I've heard great things about osteopaths and chiropractors. The earlier you see them, the better apparently. I'm currently 5 weeks and plan to make an appt with a chiro next week.

Im having a lot of pain in the vaginal area, sometimes at night its so bad i cant sleep. everytime i move, roll over anything it is the worst pain! Its not constant though. sometimes its just very dull and mild, other times its roaring and i want to cry. I had to take a warm bath the other night it was so intense. My drs nurse said it was round ligament pain, but to me this doesnt feel normal. im just not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->