Tachycardia in pregnancy?

northern_me

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced this? I had it with my last pregnancy and the doctor didn't seem too concerned. However, the fact that I now have this in my second pregnancy is bothering him and he has me referred on at 10 weeks to a ob-gyn when they don't normally see you until 28 weeks here. I had a EKG done on Friday and I guess he must have got my results back yesterday and the ob's office called today. I'm a bit freaked out that he's so concerned when he wasn't last time? My resting heart rate was either 114 or 119 on Friday when the girl did my EKG.

I have ectopic SVT (supra ventricular tachycardia) pre pregnancy that is mild and unmedicated, discharged by cardiologist 18/24 months ago. Midwife does not seem concerned at all by increase in palpitations and erratic beats... maybe when i finally see OB again in 7 weeks they might be a little more concerned :shrug:

I've had it in previous pregnancies at rest and have it in general when going from sitting to standing (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). Usually it goes upto 90ish max, from a usual slow resting pulse of high 50s. This pregnancy my thyroid went crazy hyper and my resting pulse has been 120s on average and upwards of 140 on occasion, I have betablockers and thyroid meds now and its slowly going down,although averaging about 110. If you haven't been tested for this its worth an ask as thyroid issues can flare up or develop during pregnancy.:flower:

I had this during my pregnancy, my bp would drop to about 90/50 and my heart rate would skyrocket from my normal 80-90 to a crazy 140. My gp wasn't concerned though. I got it when standing for too long (read: more than a minute or 2!). I couldn't queue up in a shop without having to crouch down for a few momwnts to keep from passing out.
You could try compression stockings. You can usually get them from drugstores/chemists etc. They helped me a little bit. But I mainly just had to learn to cope with it. Hope it gets better for you :flower:

Without pregnancy I was diagnosed with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and have had this since I was 12 years old. During pregnancy however it is aggravated even more especially since I cannot take my usual medication. The doctor should give you some recommendations on how to relieve the problem. Because of the higher heart rate you may have to cut out many things even in your diet to help keep it low such as sodium and caffeine.

Thanks. The doctor did mention beta blockers. I have to see my GP on the 19th so hopefully he explains more. I just don't get why he's concerned because it showed up in a second pregnancy and wasn't concerned the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->