Taking 15 month old swimming...

Neferet

Reaction score
I've decided I want to take Ike swimming. He's 15 months old and has never been before. Anyone got any ideas about what I should take with us and what I should do with him in the water? I've got no idea as I haven't been swimming for years so have no idea what other people do with their toddlers in the water.
Thanks in advance for any tips! =]

I'd be ready with your cossie on under your clothes before you go then you just have to get undressed when you're there, I take an extra carrier to put clothes in as it makes it easier to put in the locker.

A friend of mine takes a dressing gown rather than a towel for her little girl when she goes but I tend to take a towel for him.

I'd def take something for your lo to play with after you've got them dressed after the session to amuse themselves whilst you get changed too.

I always avoid getting my hair wet then it's one less thing to worry about afterwards!

the session we go to put floats and toys in the water for the lo's and puts nursery rhymes on too, when we're in the water I hold him on his back and get him used to his head going in, I sprinkle water over his head and splash him to get him used to the water and bounce him round in the water and he loves it!

I'm sure your lo will love it too, so long as you're organised with all the stuff then you'll be fine hun

I take my Son to parent and Toddler swimming sessions, which is pretty much getting them used to the water and there is a swimming instructor on hand to help. The first time i took my son he wouldn't let go of my shoulders, so i just tried to get him used to it. I take towels, spare set of clothes and at least 3 swim nappies (just incase) and swimming suit. I find baby powder is good to dry legs, arms and back alot better.

He'll probably cling to you at first. It may take several times of going for him to build up confidence, but keep perservering. My LO actually doesn't like being held by us anymore, so floaties are ideal for her to have her independence but with us right there next to her. Lots of splashing, games that encourage water up and over the face and head etc. Take a ball, a board perhaps and any other water toys he likes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->