taking asprin in early pregnancy?

gingajewel

Mommy to Megan
Reaction score
So today I just got my bfp, a bit of background, I have had two miscarriages, then had my lo, then early this year had another miscarriage.
I have been doing alot of reading and just wandered if any of you ladies have taken asprin? Did you wait to discuss it with your doctor or did you just start taking it? It is bank hol weekend so by the time I ring the docs Tuesday its going to be another week until I get an appointment, should I just start on asprin? Ring the doctors and ask if the receptionist will ask the doctor? Or wait for an appointment?
So confused 😞

I've always heard to avoid aspirin in pregnancy due to the fact that even low doses can cause thinning blood which could lead to possible miscarriage. Of course there's two clearly divided sides on this. I wouldn't do ANYTHING without talking to your OB first. It's worth giving them a ring.

I've had 2 late mc (18 and 15 weeks) and have been advised to take Asprin whilst Ttc and through pregnancy. I took it through my pregnancy with my 21 month old too

I don't know what the right answer is, but I had a MMC at 16wks and two chemical pregnancies this year. I decided on my own without drs advice to take baby asprin and it just so happened I got my BFP that cycle. So now I'm taking it and scared not to, I will consult with my obgyn in September. Lots of women do if they have clotting disorders and it helps them keep their babies.

Talk to your doctor. After I had two consecutive miscarriages, I started taking baby aspirin daily, along with extra folic acid. My OB said it was fine. That was my only successful pregnancy so far. I am pregnant again, and have been following the same regimen.

I had 3 miscarriages and 2 chemicals and then when I became pregnant with daughter I started taking low dose aspirin on my own. Then at my 1st appt my OB told me to start taking it and I told him I was already. I took it throughout my entire pregnancy with daughter. Not advising you to do something without first speaking to your OB or midwife, just sharing my own experience. Good luck :)

I did a lot of research on it after my third consecutive miscarriage and I decided that in light of my Drs believing it was "just bad luck" and not wanting to do in depth testing and having a family history of clotting disorders and autoimmune disorders, the potential for me being one of the women for whom low dose aspirin can help was worth the risk.

I did not consult my Dr as doesn't even think I have a problem and I didn't think it would be likely she would encourage me to take something for a problem she doesn't think I have.

I started taking 81mg of aspirin a day following my 4th miscarriage in a year and I am currently the most pregnant I have been since my daughters were born. Not sure if its the aspirin, the acupuncture I've also been having, the gluten I cut out of my diet or just a fluke but I'm reluctant to make any changes since it seems that something is working this time around.

I have the same story as the rest. Had two very early mc's in a row. Read up on BA and started taking it (75mg) from ovulation onwards. The first month using it got bfp and my son is nearly 2. I never told my midwife and carried on taking it until about 37 weeks pregnant. This time I did the same and am on it now. I only took it from ovulation to af in the months i got bfn though as if you take it all cycle it can make you have spotting. I may tell the midwife this time but I won't stop taking it whatever she advises. Your blood is much more prone to clotting due to all the extra estrogen when you are pregnant so I figured it can't hurt to take it. My friend who is very slightly overweight has been advised to take it in her pregnancy by her gp.

I am also taking a low dose aspirin currently 6.5 weeks but had 2 miscarriages this year 4 altogether. All appears ok at present and my ob knows that I'm taking it and said it was fine although no clotting issues apparent as yet but still waiting for one more test to come back. She said it wouldn't harm the pregnancy so I am not going to worry and take it and hopefully have a take home baby this time. Good luck with what you decide xx

I had two miscarriages, so started taking aspirin (self medicated) with pregnancy 3. This ended in an ectopic pregnancy, I was tested for clotting disorders which came back clear. The consultant who I saw assured me that my next pregnancy would be successful with no treatment (don't know how she can make that assumption but hey!) - I decided to self medicate again with aspirin and sure enough I am now nearly 34 weeks pregnant with my rainbow. At my first appt with the midwife, I told her I was on aspirin and she told me to keep taking it. The early pregnancy unit were also really keen for me to continue.

I'm not sure if the aspirin made any difference, but I will be taking again when we are ttc #2!

I am taking a low dose aspirin this time as well, however, I got that advice from my OB during care for my last mc. She told me at that time to start taking an aspirin if I became pregnant again. I did have all the testing done for clotting disorders, and they found none, but my OB thought it might possibly still make a difference.
I don't know if you should take it without consulting someone though.

I has two early mc and did a lot of research and put myself on baby aspirin. I didn't check with a doctor or anything but figured it wouldn't hurt. Now 17 weeks and everything seems well. I started taking it when I got the bfp and then stopped somewhere between 7 and 8 weeks.

I have been told to take 75mg of asprin once I know im pregnant which I started at the weekend as I got my bfp :happydance:. Thi was from the advise of a consultant who I saw two weeks ago

I have lost two babies one at 8 weeks and the other two months ago at 19 weeks I was taking asprin then but only started taking it at 9 weeks.

Fingers crossed this time round

Thankyou so much everyone - i have just called the doctor and they cant get me in for an appointment until 14th September (wonderful!!) by which time i will be around seven weeks - do you think i should just start on it? Am so confused :-(

Hun do your doctors not have a phone consultancy where you can speak to a midwife or a doctor over the phone??

I got my asprin from the £1 shop if it helps

Only you can make that desicion. I don't think there's any harm in taking a baby asprin everyday. But it's ur call. How early where ur mcs? Were they all around the same time?

I am confident enough to make my own medical decisions but I am nof a Dr and therefore not qualified to advise you either way.

Frankly, the risks of even small dose baby aspirin do scare me, but after 4 miscarriages in 8 months the thought of having another scares me more so for me the risk is worth if.

I am currently on low dose dispersible asprin (75mg) prescribed by my consultant at 15 weeks, its recommended in the NICE guidelines for multiples and women with high bmi but its also suppose to help with blood flow to the placenta. I hope you get an appointment sooner xx

Thankyou for all your advice - the receptionist has taken my query and the doctor is going to call me either this afternoon or in the morning - so fingers crossed by tomorrow i should have a decision.

Update- hi everyone, just an update, I have had a prescription for low dose aaprin. Many thanks ladies for all your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->