Taking babies to restaurants?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by bky, Jan 27, 2011.

1. bky

bky :(

How old was your baby when you first took them out to a restaurant?
    What do you think is too young?

OH still doesn't want to take LO out. I tried to get him to have us all go out for his birthday but he thinks that she's still too young at 6+ months.

That's what takeaway is for I guess!

2. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

We've taken him to restaurants regularly since he was 3 weeks old.
    I'd like to add, we've only ever been complimented on him. He loves seeing all the people and especially loves eating 'real' food now that he's learned how.

3. Tegans Mama

Tegans Mama home edding mum of 2

We first took Tegan at about 2 months and haven't stopped since :)

4. LulaBug

LulaBug Mum of 5

I don't think any age is too young, after all, restaurants are for the most part family orientated and you go there to eat. Yeah OK, it can be a bit distracting sometimes to have a screaming kid there, but then...I'd go later on in the evening when theres less chance of that or to another restaurant. You're entitled to be there with your LO, just as much as those without LO's :) Go whenever you're ready

5. mrsthomas623

mrsthomas623 MommyToNolanAndPregnant!

Same a seity, he was so easy to take out then. He slept the whole time. And now he LOVES sitting in the high chair and people watching. I always bring some jar food and finger snacks for him.

6. bky

bky :(

I don't think it would be an issue, she's a very social baby. OH just thinks she'll be bored or turn into some kind of demon child or something. I dunno. There's no logic there. I guess he doesn't want to be 'that family' with the screaming kid. :roll:

7. LulaBug

LulaBug Mum of 5

People see screaming kids every day, in every situation, so you won't be the first or last screaming kid family in a public place, so honestly, don't worry. I'm sure if it got that bad, you'd get the check and leave, but I'm sure it wouldn't. :) xx

8. kiwimama

kiwimama Soon to be family of 4!

It's a lot easier to take them when they are younger. Once they are walking, it can be a bit of a nightmare if they aren't a child who likes to sit still for long! :dohh:
    However, if we can get a highchair done, Ella is usually really well behaved, it's the waiting for the food and waiting for others to finish after she's done that is the hard part for her.

9. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

Are you weaning her yet? We do baby led weaning and honestly restaurants are actually fun now! We bring a portable high chair (it straps to an adult chair) and just give him the food off our plates, keeps him busy and it's just fine. I think he'd get fussy if he didn't have any food though.

10. ~Mummy~

~Mummy~ Expecting #2!!

We first had a meal out when she was 3 days old.
    I don't think they can be 'too young' to go to restaurants. She behaved beautifully and really enjoyed her first pram ride.

I also think it was great for our confidence to take her out, we had to do two nappy changes and feed her twice while we were out, so we soon realised it was no big deal.
    If we had waited a week or so we might not have been so keen on going.

11. peanut56

peanut56 Mom to Hana & pregnant!

We've been bringing her since she was probably 2-3 weeks old, although we haven't been to a restaurant in about a month now. She usually just sleeps the whole time.

12. Khloeee

Khloeee Well-Known Member

I used to take Arlo to restaurants all the time when he was a newborn. It was so easy, he slept through everything. We still take him now although he gets bored sitting down so someone usually has to be walking him around.

13. carriecinaz

carriecinaz Ella's Mommy

We have been taking Ella to restaurants since she was a few weeks old. We have never had an issue. We are just always prepared with food, toys and bottles ready to go. She loves going to restaurants at this age and enjoys the people watching!

14. NaturalMomma

NaturalMomma Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a too young of age to take a baby out. Last year I remember at a diner there was a woman who had her 1 day old there, she was getting something to eat on her way home. Baby was snugged up in a carrier and seemed just fine. I think ds1 was probably a month, and ds2 probably the same.

15. cleckner04

cleckner04 Well-Known Member

Emma was 2 weeks old at her first restaurant. :flower: She slept through the entire experience. :haha:

16. Louise23

Louise23 Happy mum of 3girls&a boy

I'vegot 4 children and I take them out to lunch whenever I go. sometimeswith friends so 3younger will come oldest be at school..sometimes with OH sometimes with my mum dad OH sis her BF and her 3 kiddies! Always have done. Don't feel the need to not take them. Although my sister often goes with friends and leaves children with her OH. Everyone is different. There is no right/wrong answer you should take LO when you want to. if you want to go you and OH then it would be lovely to have time together to eat properly (i go out to enjoy a meal and i do.. still cold though :haha: Too busy cutting up food for youngest 2/passing drinks/feeding baby and sometimes 21month old) and if you want to take LO go for it.

17. ellie27

ellie27 Well-Known Member

Before Anna arrived we pretty much went out to a restaurant every saturday night.

We started taking Anna out with us into town and for dinner from when she was around 6 weeks old and we still do now, though maybe every few weeks now.

She has always been well behaved:flower:

18. CocoaOne

CocoaOne Well-Known Member

I didn't go to any restaurants when LO was young, but we've been a few times since she's started weaning. I just put her in a highchair and let her eat!
    We've been to ASK, Nandos, Havester, Pizza Hut and McDonalds (she had fruit I bought along :haha:)

She loves eating out!

I think it will get harder as the get older as they get bored easily and want to run around make the most of it while LO is happy to sit in the highchair/your lap!

19. tu123

tu123 Well-Known Member

We go to a restaurant/pub for lunch once a week. We go to "family friendly" places (incase she starts screaming) but she usually just sleeps in her pram:winkwink:

20. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

I think it's better to go when they're young so the can begin to learn how to behave.