taking baby swimming advice??

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by GypsyDancer, Jan 24, 2011.

1. GypsyDancer

GypsyDancer Mummy to Zach <3

So i was planning to take Zach swimming tomorrow for the first time..

However im so nervous i dont really know what im doing..

I know he should wear swimmers nappies..and i got him a swimming suit thing..would that be ok or should i get him an insulated one?
    The pool im going to is on the huggies little swimmers website as being baby friendly so i figured itd be ok to take him to..

Does anybody know what the "swim pant guidelines" i keep seeing are?? :shrug:
    has anybody taken their babies swimming at 4 months?
    And does anybody have any tips?
    so many questions im just so nervous! :blush:

2. AlwaysPraying

AlwaysPraying Mom of two!

I took my boy at 3 months for the first time and was SO nervous too!! It was a ton of fun though!! Here's what we did.

Make sure to bring extra diapers, towels and an outfit for baby. Your sure to drop something on the wet ground when changing!

I actually had my own swim suit on under my outfit so when I got to the pool all i had to do was just undress. I took baby in his car seat into the change area and undressed him and put on the disposable swim diaper on as well as a plastic cover (that's manditory here for babies) and then swim trunks overtop (because they were cute!). I wrapped him up in a towel and threw a bag with the extra towel and my towel over my arm. I unloaded at the side of the pool and nearly passed out thinking bubs was either going to poop right then and there or start screaming! LOL! Anyways, he was a champ. We slowly got in the pool and he bobbed around. We only stayed for 20 mins or so. I didn't want him getting over done and upset so we left before any meltdown. I wrapped him in the towel getting out and tried to get my towel around me too (didn't work too well). Dried him off and dressed him normally and we were off!!

I didn't dunk his head under the water at all, we just stayed in the shallow end and bobbed around. I held him as if I would when I was walking, both facing me and facing away. Some kids splashed and bubs was great with it. For the most part he had huge eyes and was taking it all in. Oh, and he peed all over his outfit when I was dressing him at the end (thank goodness for the extra change!).

That's how it went for us, and I'm going again on wed!! Hope it's just as smooth!!! It's really fun, - oh and make sure to feed right before, and I also made sure there was a bottle ready when we were done (again, to avoid any meltdowns).

3. Amandabelk05

Amandabelk05 Mummy of 1, Baking a 2nd

Hi,
    I go to swimming classes with Poppy, as long as the pool your in is a baby pool and above 30 degrees your lo should be fine without a wetsuit, however if it's a normal pool they are generally colder and you will need a wetsuit.
    You need swim nappies and a swim nappy cover which is added protection in case they poo and it leaks out the nappy as it is very expensive for swimming pools to clean this up.

https://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Swim-nappy-Boys/dp/B000JSS7S0?_encoding=UTF8&

Example of swim nappy cover

Hope this helps

4. icy1975

icy1975 Lucy's mummy, aka Sarah

is that not just a reusable swim nappy? This swimming business is confusing!

5. Amandabelk05

6. icy1975

icy1975 Lucy's mummy, aka Sarah

oh, cool thanks, just checking so I know what I'm looking for :thumbup:

7. jojo_b

jojo_b Well-Known Member

What do you do with the car seat while you're in the pool?x

8. GypsyDancer

GypsyDancer Mummy to Zach <3

Yeah i thought id probably put my costume on underneath but im so nervous about getting dressed after! lol..i'll havta make sure ive also got a dummy at the ready for after if he decided to get all fussy!
    Bags a good idea to keep everything together, thanks..oh goshh im also so nervous hes gonna poo..his poos (sorry ladies tmi) are realllyyy runny and always leak! i'll dieee if that happens in the pool :blush:!
    Do you think a disposable nappy..nappy cover andd wet suit will be enough to stop any leakages? i hope so..

What did you do with baby whilst you were drying and getting dressed? Just put him in his carseat?
    I'll have OH to help while were in the pool but once were out i'll be by myself getting him dried and changed as i dont think they have family changing rooms..

I think he's gonna love it too :) he's always so curious and loves his baths now so hopefully he wont scream..

9. sweetlullaby

sweetlullaby Well-Known Member

I had LO in the swimming pool on holiday all the time he was 6 months

He loved it!!!

Swimming Nappy protective cover over it (in case of poo's!) and then a UV swimsuit and UV hat as well (because we were on holiday)

Only advice I'd have is to start dressing LO as soon as you get out of the water literally!
    My LO was always really tired and trying to fall asleep as soon as we got out of the water probably all the excitment tiring him out!lol And prepare to be freezing yourself in a wet bathing costume as the towel never stays round you while you're sorting LO :rofl:

10. Amandabelk05

I've always just carried Poppy in and the bags but it is only a short walk from the car park to the swimming baths for us.

11. Joyzerelly

Joyzerelly Mama to two darlings

After reading this I'm definitely taking a bath robe along to wear while changing LO, I don't care if people stare!

12. kiwimama

kiwimama Soon to be family of 4!

I always had my togs on before I got there under my clothes so I just stripped off and was ready then would get Ella into her swim nappy and togs. Younger babys may not last long in the water 20-30 mins, but just keep an eye out for baby getting a bit cold.
    Afterwards, I'd dry myself off a bit so I wasn't dripping water onto Ella, then got her dressed at the poolside (changing rooms at our pools were cold!). I then popped her into her pram and when she was older, we took her bumbo along to sit in while I got dressed (in the changing rooms, not poolside!)

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

13. BabyJayne

BabyJayne Me, DH, DD & pregnant

My tips would be:
    Leave a towel by the side of the pool so you can strip LO off and wrap them up straight away. Just stops them getting cold.
    If you are going in the morning, take LO in his sleepsuit. I always do that - no point in getting them dressed, undressed and dressed again!
    If you wear your swimsuit under your clothes DON'T forget to pack a bra and pants. I tell you this from experience :)

I've taken Madeline loads, from about 8 weeks old. We go on our own all the time so I am sure you will be fine.
    Oh, and when I used to take LO in the carseat I would leave it on top of the lockers, or at the side of the pool. I just carry LO now. They have babychangers for them to lay on while you are getting dressed.