Taking clothes off to go to the toilet

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by cbear, Dec 21, 2009.

1. cbear

cbear Mummy to Aidan

My son (3yrs 3mo) has been doing really well going to the toilet but just recently he has developed a fear of going to the toilet when he has clothes on below his waist. He gets really upset and distressed if you don't let him strip completely, trousers, socks, shoes and pants. He says "the wee wont come out"

They told me at pre-school that they don't have time to put his clothes back on after he's been to the toilet.

Any ideas?

2. kiwimama

kiwimama Soon to be family of 4!

Sounds like something that will probably resolve with time I think. Don't really have much advice but I think the preschool is being pretty unreasonable. You could show your son how mummy (and daddy) go to the toilet with their pants round their ankles and thats how everyone else does it. Hope all works out for you!

3. Jkelmum

Jkelmum Well-Known Member

Ethan as been potty trained 4 months and still will not wear his bottom half most of the day ...when we are out he manages just about most of time

4. kelly2903

kelly2903 mum2princess an expectin

lol bless no advice but i rekon he will get passed that xx

5. cbear

cbear Mummy to Aidan

Thanks girls. I'm glad it's not just me that thought the pre-school were being a bit funny about it, i don't really see much wrong with it but MIL thinks it is horrendous :wacko:

6. MrsKangaroo

MrsKangaroo Mother of 3

It is really common for children to want their clothes off when they are potty training.

I use to work in a nursery and we got very used to 2 children who would go into the bathroom dressed and come out naked or nearly naked having been to the toilet. I think it is bad that the pre-school say that they don't have time to redress him - they are there to work with the children and it only takes a matter of minutes to dress a child!

7. SherriMom

SherriMom Member

lol. Very normal. This phase will pass - your child himself will grow tired of getting dressed and undressed every time.

If the preschool makes a problem of getting him dressed, you can try teaching him to start dressing himself, like his undies and pants. Then they'll only need to help him with his socks and shoes. (Though I do think they shouldn't make a problem about it.)

Good Luck!

8. bsalvatore

bsalvatore New Member

You may or may not be surprised to know that many adults have a much easier time on the toilet with their clothes off, as well.

There are many people who find it much easier to get it all out when they have taken off all of their clothes. I would hope that any preschool wouldn't be lazy enough to ignore this very common behavior and make the appropriate concessions.

It is perfectly normal. If you don't believe me... try taking your clothes off next time you are having trouble "getting it all out." It helps most people.

Many women report it helps to remove all of their jewelry, as well.

9. suzib76

suzib76 Well-Known Member

in all honesty if you dont have a problem with it (and he will grow out of it - despite the above post how many adults do you knwo that strip to use the loo?) i would just leave him, if pre school have issues with it then let them damn well try to change it
    dont ever let the preschool encourage you to change things you dont really want/need to - we actually took our son out of nursery once for that reason

10. luckyme225

luckyme225 Well-Known Member

Sounds like your preschool is being unreasonable. Kids go through all kinds of funny stages and they should go with the flow. Better then them have to undress him and change his diaper, so I don't know what they are complaining about.

11. MoonMuffin

MoonMuffin Mom of 2!

My DH was like that, he had to have all his clothes off, and sometimes still does! When he was little the was afraid the poo would go all the way up his back, thats why :lol:

Your preschool should take the extra min to re-dress him, pre school is expensive enough, the least they can do is deal with clothe-less potty time.