Taking on the company Maternity Policy

pgfairy

Reaction score
I posted this in another forum but just in case there are some second+ time mom's in here that have done it I'll post here too!

There are some serious flaws with my companies Maternity Policy and I'm just the sort of person that cant stand to let that sort of thing go without at least trying to make a change. Completely aside from the fact that the amount of pay you get is pitiful on our policy (I know that might not be something I can influence necessarily) it's got a glaring clause that is against our discrimination policy and is completely lacking in any sort of substantial return to work policy (including any provisions for breastfeeding which I've just had an HSE representative point out to me. A man I might add).

Has anyone else ever taken on a policy like this and gotten changes made? Anybody got any good advice for me on my mini crusade?

Our maternity policy (not a leave, really, more like a temporary work reduction) is the same for men and women. I am going to try to get more of a work reduction - I've got a complicated pregnancy this time around with lots of additional doc visits and blood draws, will have my third c-section, breastfeeding etc. Technically, what I will be asking for is consistent with their written policy, but not with how it is implemented in practice (there are two ways of interpreting the policy). NO idea if it will work, but their policy is really a joke! I get so upset thinking about getting the same small work reduction again (I gave birth here a few years ago) as my male colleagues who have wives or inlaws at home helping (technically, they are supposed to sign that they are the primary caregivers, but in the cases I have seen, that has clearly NOT been the case! And even if they were the primary caregivers, how does that compare going though 9 months of pregnancy while working, AND a c-section and breastfeeding, in addition to being the primary caregiver??)... If my superior - a man - denies my request (which I fully expect), I am going to the higher ups as well. To hopefully get this changed.
Good luck to you!!!

I don't even think my workplace has a company policy regarding maternity leave, etc. There's nothing in our handbook that mentions it :shrug: I work for a small, local manufacturer with mostly male employees and I don't think they've ever encountered a time when they have needed to address it. I'm still very early in my pregnancy so haven't shared the news with my boss (who is female and I really like, not that it should matter regardless) and I'm nervous as to how my "maternity leave" will be handled, if I'm even granted it. I may be overthinking and worrying for nothing.

Thanks for your responses and I really hope you both manage to make some headway and gain some ground! I know none of us are going to change the workforce overnight but it's really great to see that we're all making little advances. Good luck!!:hugs:

Are you in the UK? At a minimum the company will give you statutory maternity pay / leave which compared to most countries is very good.

Are you in the UK? At a minimum the company will give you statutory maternity pay / leave which compared to most countries is very good.

Compared to the US and Australia it is very good, I don't know about Canada. It's the worst policy of any country in Europe as of November 2013. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->