Taking vit B6 to lengthen LP- can you overdose?

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by becstar, Oct 21, 2008.

1. becstar

becstar Sleep is for the weak

I have a 10 day LP so I want to lengthen it. I've read loads on here about taking vit B6 to lengthen your LP, and in TCOYF it recommends upwards of 200mg a day.

I decided to try 50mg a day for a month or so to see how that goes and maybe raise it, so I bought some 10mg pills at Asda (they were cheap!) and was going to take 4 of them plus the vit B6 in my pg vitamin. However, on the tub it says 10mg is 500% of your RDA - so 50mg is 2500% of it!

My husband went mental and started ranting about it being insane and he's surprised I don't die of supplements because I take so many. :blush: But seriously - will 50mg cause problems? My GP is pretty clueless on all things ttc so I don't want to ask him.

2. hekate

hekate An Angel & an Earth Child

I really don't know much...but I read somewhere that to much vit b can cause nerve damage....which sounds scary...
    not sure what the healthy limit is...hope somebody more clued up will be able to help!
    good luck ttc!

3. becstar

I found this which says anything up to 200mg is safe... I think I'll see how I go with 50mg. Thanks hekate!

4. Lyns

Lyns Mama to two <3

Vitamin B6 is water soluable, so in effect you just get rid of the excess in your urine. Long-term high dosage has been known to cause temporary nerve problems with deadening of the nerves in outer limbs and extremities. The effect disappears once supplementation is stopped.

I believe it is Ok to take for a matter of a few weeks/ months but wouldn't risk it over years. If you feel any nerve issues - stop! I would however definitely get a high dosage tablet from the health food shop rather than rely on multiple cheapies from the supermarket, as the issue also lies with what is in the tablet as a carrier.

I have had reasonable effect from only 20mg a day. I used higher dosage single tablet and ensured my doctor knew. I know some people have taken up to 200mg, but personally I would not go any higher than 50 without consulting a professional.

5. becstar

Thanks lovely. I take on board your point about getting a single higher dose tablet - it makes sense. I will get carry on with my cheapies for now until I can get to Holland and Barrett at the weekend. Thanks again!

6. loopylew

loopylew Well-Known Member

Are your cycles regular? i tok B6 before whenh my luteal phase was 5-7 days and it did nothing but double my cycle length so i steered clear of it. Now my cycles sem to have regulated im trying 100mg again as my luteal phase is still 7-9days now.