Tattoos and TTC

Shedevil18

Reaction score
What do you guys think about getting tattoos while TTC? Does it hurt your chances? Is it bad?

The reason I ask is because I just got one on the weekend and I am 8dpo today... I tested last night at 7dpo and I got the faintest shadow line on my IC.. so I am concerned that if I actually am pregnant that it is going to hurt me...

Hey, to be honest there isn't a lot of research out there regarding having tattoo's whilst pregnant. (Im assuming you mean would having a tattoo if you are pregnant cause baby any issues?)

You do run a the risk of contracting illnesses such as Hep B/HIV but obviously this is only the case in studios who are not practicing safely. The ink used can affect some adults therefore may affect some unborn babies. This is the part that has very little research, mainly as few mums would take part in this sort of research.

Have you done another test? It's highly unlikely that you will have caused any issues if you are pregnant. GL x

Its a very modern misconception that you can catch HIV from being tattooed. The reasearch sugests that there is only one or two actual documented cases of someone actually contracting the virus thru being tattooed.
The actual virus is far to fragile survive being past on. Also more up to date legislations require the use of single use needles and other tattooing equipment which means in any establishment with a good reputation there should be no risk of either HIV or hep B being contracted.
Your biggest risk is an infection from poor personal hygine or bad level of care for your new tattoo once you leave the tattooist. This is the biggest reason for infection for any tattoo but if your immune system is already down or working over time like in pregnancy the risk is obviously higher.
Alsoas the above poster sugested you also run the risk of an alergic reaction to the ink which generaly tends to be red ink. Also depending on what products your tattooist uses during the tattoo sich as disinfectant. I have a known reaction to rose water and tattoo goo so its always a good idea to ask what your artist uses.
Alot of research sugests if done by an artist you know and trust and you are experienced in looking after a tattoo no one can actually produce a reason not to be tattooed suring pregnancy.

In my personal opinion its not some thing id choose to do or recomend someone else does. For the sake of 9 months and again as the above poster points out that there is a lack of actual evidence due to no studies being carried out i would just wait till after a little one is here safe and sound.

Also your skin and pigment changes dramatically during pregnancy and no guaranteed outcome would be known till the healing process was complete.

At such an early date i very much doubt any damage could have been done but id prop sugest arranging any further seasions for times just after a period so u know 100% its safe

I believe that the problem only lies that you can contract blood born diseases (Hepatitis, etc)...if you are using a reputable shop, it should not be an issue! The other problem lies with people much later in pregnancy when your body is very busy taking care of baby and your skin may not heal as well....

Being 8 DPO, I think you should be okay...I am TTC as well and I just got a tattoo a week ago :)

Maybe if you were super stressed and freaking out during the tattoo

It wasn't an issue... AF showed her face anyways :(

Bummer. I'm considering getting a tattoo as well and we're TTC but I'm scared of something going wrong. I decided to just wait until after the baby, whenever that is, just to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"