Tax credits paying back overpayment but now entitled to credits again....question!

Sarah Lou 80

Reaction score
Hi

A coup,e of years ago we ended up owing HMRC about £3000 in overpayments. Obviously I'm responsible for this stupid situation but they were a nightmare and I feel like I could appeal it but not sure if there's any point.

Anyway, my query is, how does it work if we are now entitled to credits again? We have had a decrease in our income and it suddenly occurred to me that we might be entitled to credits. On the calculator online it says we are entitled to child tax credits (not working tax) of £110 a month. We architect oh paying them back approx £25 a month for 10 years!!

How does it work if we are entitled?

I've sent off for a claim form. I'm reluctant to deal with them again as they were always useless and the system is crap but, I am entitled to it, I wouldn't mind reducing this overpayment amount in some way!

We ended up.owing them around 4k, they deducted it from our entitlement untill it's been paid back (Jan 16 to march17 :wacko:) we didn't receive noting but around half what we were entitled to

I'm repaying 2k and have just become eligible again. Like you I'm worried about ending up owing even more but it's equally silly to say no to the money.

They have reduced our award so the money owed is deducted then we get the amount leftover.

My plan is to save half each month ready for them to ask for it back..

Thanks guys....I phoned them up and they said they would just do a new claim and I would get the money for that and that the old pay,nets would continue. I asked whether they would not just deduct it from the overpayment but nope! Weird how it's different for you. Although, not that weird considering they don't seem to know their arse from their elbow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"