Tax credits underpaying...advice please?

Elliebump

Reaction score
Hiya,

When my partner started work back in may we applied for working tax credits,and got awarded it. The letter stated we would get £141.?? or £142.?? (i can't remember exactly so will have to dig out letter) a week with child tax and working tax together.
Anyway i've never recieved that much, and it changes all the time! I've been getting anything between £136 and £140.So two months ago i rang them up to ask what was going on, and she said that they have been paying the amount they said on the letter,so if i'm not recieving that,then i should check with my bank.But obviously my bank doesn't rob me of money every week and the statements prove i haven't been getting what i should be. So what do i do now?
Also when my partner moved in with me i declared it(i'm 99% sure i did as i informed everybody else!) so when i phoned up in may to apply for working tax credits,they told me i hadn't declared i was living with my partner so have been overpaid and i would have to pay it all back.I explained how my partner moved in last nov,and he was unemployed due to being made redundant and there was no reason to why i wouldn't have rang them as i'd let every other benefit know.But apparently i didn't,so i dropped that issue.The woman told me i would have to now ring and apply for child tax and working tax credits all over again,and ask that they be backdated from November.I filled in the form that i eventually got sent and put that as a special request.I didnt get it backdated until november,so when i rang to ask why,i was told i had to write a letter.So i wrote a letter,and have had no reply even though they state they would reply within 15 days.So to cut a long story short- they want me to pay back what i was apparantly overpaid,even though my partner and i would have qualified for exactly the same amount i was getting.So in theory,if i pay that back,then we didn't recieve any tax credits for 6 months even though we were entitled to them?I've already lost out on 2 months working tax credits due to not being aware i could have got them:dohh:,i didn't put in a claim until oct08 when my baby was born in may so they only backdated it 3 months. Does anyone know what i should do now?Do i write again? Anyone experienced any of this?if so how did you deal with it and what did they do/say?Thanks in advance:thumbup:

grrr, this happened to me, and they still made me pay it back!!! i was pregnant and just come out of full time education, i was on income support when i should have been on job seekers they are still making me pay them a total of 800 pound and i really tried fighting it. They can really screw with your head so i know how frustrating this is!!!! I would keep trying to fight your corner but they generally have an answer for everything :( hope you get it sorted x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->