Teach me how to exclusively pump

blessed

Mama to baby girl :)
Reaction score
So after fighting for a couple of days and going from BM to FF, and only FF, I started feeling a little selfish.. I need to keep trying to give DD BM, but I have to EP because latching just isn't working out and, no matter how hard I try, and the nipple shield is only causing problems... so I have questions.. bare with me folks

How many times a day and how long are you pumping?

Is my Lansinoh Affinity pump going to hold up?

Is it still possible for me to get blocked ducts/mastitis/yeast??

When will I stop leaking like crazy?!?

I promise when I first decided to start a thread I had a lot more questions I'll keep adding while they come to me...

oh! and when I was trying to just pump and bottle feed, DD's poo started going green on me... it has to be a foremilk issue... but I keep pumping even until after my 2nd let down, :shrug: I never feel fully empty after pumping, empty enough, but not EMPTY (lol) is that a problem?

How much cream is there supposed to be in the milk? Sometimes it looks like a lot more, sometimes there's barely any..

Thanks for all your help!

hi hunny i am pumping full time too. my baby is almost a month old, and still unable to latch on. i gotta say its a lot of work with the pumping and washing bottles all the time, but its the only choice at this point.
i rented a hospital pump for 10 months, not sure if i will make it to 10 months though but my goal right now is 6 months. Evie eats 10 times a day, 2.5oz each time. I pump 4 times a day-
6am, noon, 5pm and 10pm, and i make 2-3 servings each time. i never really feel 100% empty either, but i stop once i have the milk i need. i do leak at night when i wake up to feed her, but in the day time i just wear a tight bra and there is no leaking.

Hi there!

I have a Medela pump in style, which is awesome because I can do both breasts at once.

I breastfed LO for the first 3 weeks. Then, I decided to exclusively pump. At first, I pumped every 3 hours or so, including at night. I only did this for a couple of weeks.

Now, I pump 8-10oz per pump session. I pump 4 times per day. 8am, 1pm, 6pm, 11pm. I put 3 sessions in the fridge and 1 in the freezer. LO eats anywere from 3-5 oz per feed, 6-7 times a day.

I am not sure about your green poop issue, but maybe it was just a transition from formula to BM?

hi hunny i am pumping full time too. my baby is almost a month old, and still unable to latch on. i gotta say its a lot of work with the pumping and washing bottles all the time, but its the only choice at this point.
i rented a hospital pump for 10 months, not sure if i will make it to 10 months though but my goal right now is 6 months. Evie eats 10 times a day, 2.5oz each time. I pump 4 times a day-
6am, noon, 5pm and 10pm, and i make 2-3 servings each time. i never really feel 100% empty either, but i stop once i have the milk i need. i do leak at night when i wake up to feed her, but in the day time i just wear a tight bra and there is no leaking.

You are definitely right, its A TON of work :dohh: but we do what we gotta do right? :)

How long are you pumping for?

Hi there!

I have a Medela pump in style, which is awesome because I can do both breasts at once.

I breastfed LO for the first 3 weeks. Then, I decided to exclusively pump. At first, I pumped every 3 hours or so, including at night. I only did this for a couple of weeks.

Now, I pump 8-10oz per pump session. I pump 4 times per day. 8am, 1pm, 6pm, 11pm. I put 3 sessions in the fridge and 1 in the freezer. LO eats anywere from 3-5 oz per feed, 6-7 times a day.

I am not sure about your green poop issue, but maybe it was just a transition from formula to BM?

Yea, you might be right.. it could have been playing with the formula that caused the poop issue.

I wish I could afford the Medela... we'll see how my Lansinoh holds up.. I even thought about renting one :shrug: Also, how long at a time are you pumping for?

Hi there!

Yea, you might be right.. it could have been playing with the formula that caused the poop issue.

I wish I could afford the Medela... we'll see how my Lansinoh holds up.. I even thought about renting one :shrug: Also, how long at a time are you pumping for?

I pump anywhere from 15-30 minutes depending on flow and supply.

Hiya, although I've got the medela swing-I have rented a medela symphony (double and hospital grade) month by month and it is amazing!!! I had to exclusively pump for 8 weeks with last baby so knew what to expect this time.

I'm pumping every 3-4 hours during the day with at least one night time as want to maintain an oversupply for stashing in the freezer fir future use.

I'm getting at least 300 ml a time but am also taking fenugreek (again for supply) I offer the boob each time I feed her and she is doing the odd latch on for a few mins :happydance: but will keep just pumping until at least 6 months if need be. My boy fed until 9 months but pregnancy made my boobs too sore to continue as was going to let him self wean.

Good luck to all anyway xxx

HI Blessed,

I'm pumping a lot too b/c sometimes, the LO just doesn't care to take the breast and prefers the bottle.

I try to pump/BF atleast 10x a day. I also take fenugreek and blessed thistle. These herbs have helped a lot, and I drink Mother's Milk Tea by Traditional Medicinals.

I have a medela pump and style. If you find that your pump isn't working for you, I've seen the Medela Pump and Styles on ebay for around $100 (if you are on a budget). You would just have to buy all new tubes and bottles, but the prices on those aren't bad at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->