Team yellow positive birth story after previous traumatic birth

tinkerbelle93

2 little boys :)
Reaction score
1st Birth recap- I had a bad experience when giving birth to my first child. I kept being put off on the phone despite having been in a great deal of pain with regular contractions for over a day. Finally got told I could go in after my waters broke at home. I was in total agony by this point and screamed the whole journey there yet when I arrived was summoned to sit in a busy waiting room despite the fact I was in the late stages of labour which in itself was awful. When I finally got examined I was going on for 8cm. I requested an epidural but was persuaded not to have it. The baby's heart rate kept dropping and suddenly the room was full of people. I was stripped naked in front of everyone and dressed in a hospital gown. On the way to theatre I was snapped at and scolded for making too much noise, then once again in theatre somebody joked about the amount of noise I'd made. I was given a spinal block and felt absolutely nothing as I was cut and baby dragged out with forceps in the theatre with about 10 people surrounding me whilst I lay there with my legs wide open and completely exposed. All within 45 minutes of arriving at hospital. I was then carted off to another ward with different staff due to them being busy and was given no support despite feeling traumatised. It took me a long time to consider getting pregnant again!

Birth Story:

I was due to be induced at exactly 40 weeks and since I'd gone 9 days over with my 1st child, we did not think the baby would arrive any earlier and planned everything around that date.

Thursday:

39+3. I'd had Braxton hicks all day but didn't think anything of them. At 6pm my dad came and collected my son for a pre-arranged sleepover at my parents.

7pm- My husband came home from work. We decided to go out for a meal since we were child-free and knew we wouldn't have the opportunity much once the baby arrived. I felt a bit uncomfortable during the meal and felt really full and didn't have a lot of appetite.

11pm- We arrived home and went up to bed.

1:30am- I'd been waking on and off with Braxton hicks that were beginning to get painful. I had the urge to go to toilet and empty bowels. I ended up being stuck on the loo for quite a long time :blush: and felt a bit better afterwards so assumed it was just my IBS flaring up. I went back to bed.

2am- The pains kept coming back and were getting worse. I woke up my DH, suspecting I was definitely in labour, before hopping in the shower to soothe them. They started coming every 5 mins so I rang the hospital (a different one to where I'd previously given birth) expecting them to tell me to wait. I got through to a midwife who was really lovely and asked lots of questions and seemed really caring and concerned when I explained about my previous traumatic experience. She told me I could come straight away.

3am- We set off to the hospital. The timing was good as DS was already at my parents so we'd not had to sort childcare and as it was 3am the roads were completely clear. I was crying in between contractions because I was so scared.

3:30am- When we arrived at reception they were waiting for us! A lovely midwife immediately led me through to our own delivery suite and offered me and DH food and hot drinks. I asked for pain relief so she examined me and I was almost 5cm. I talked through feeling scared due to DS's birth and she was so caring and reassuring. I changed into my nightie and had gas and air which I loved. I felt safe and relaxed.

The next few hours are a bit of a blur due to the gas and air I think! My contractions became more intense really quickly and I requested an epidural. Before it could be arranged, baby's heart rate kept dipping and lots of people rushed in and I started worrying that history was about to repeat itself. Luckily, it went back to normal and everyone left but I was wheeled to a different delivery room. They'd broken my waters and found I was fully dilated so I was refused the epidural despite pleading for it!

7ish am: Me and DH were alone in the room and I was puffing on the gas and air through a contraction when suddenly I felt an overwhelming urge to push! He pressed the button and the midwife who'd been with us through the whole labour came back along with another midwife. It was time to push which was such a surreal experience!

7:30am- I'm not sure how long I was pushing for but it was painful (although manageable and I realised I was just fine without the epidural) after a few good pushes they told me I only needed to push twice more and it was such a strange feeling physically feeling the baby's body coming out of me with a strange rush of warm liquid.

The baby was immediately placed on my chest and DH started sobbing! We just stared at it overwhelmed with love. It was so different to the shocked, numb feeling I'd had the first time. After a moment I said 'What have we got??' and lifted him up slightly so we could see. DH started sobbing again and saying 'A little boy! We've got a little boy!' :cloud9: Baby Henry Joseph arrived at 7:28am.

The placenta was delivered shortly after then I was examined to find I hadn't torn, just needed 2 teeny stitches for a little labial graze. I had a shower then we chilled in the room for a bit before I went to the postnatal ward. I had the option to go home that day but ended up staying overnight to have morphine due to nasty after pains but all in all it was a great experience and a million times better than last time.

What a lovely positive birth story! I was nearly in tears towards the end, so glad you and your oh got to experience a much happier labour and birth x

I was in tears by the end. Congratulations and a lovely birth story. It's fantastic that you had the strength and had a Vbac after the first traumatic labor.

Congratulations hun! So glad you had a good birthing experience :)

Oh, this brought me to tears.

I'm so happy for you and your husband! Everyone deserves a wonderful birth experience. I hope that if I ever have another one, I will be surrounded by such staff as you describe above.

Enjoy your time being a new family. Lots of love!

OH just loved the great turn around from your first birth to this one!!! Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->