Tearing?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by MrsKeene, Oct 30, 2008.

1. MrsKeene

MrsKeene Mama To Princess & Prince

Lately I have been thinking about working on a birth plan, because I want to keep up with everything with somewhat of a plan. With my daughter I had a 4th degree tear plus I was given an epistomy. Labour and birth really were a breeze for me expect for the tearing part. Anyways I am TERRIFIED of tearing again with this baby! Has anyone else already had a baby or has more childern that has torn with one but not with the other? This sounds awful also but i was sewen up really well but sex still hurts sometimes because i almost feel like i was sewn up too tight:blush:. If it hurts during sex sometimes I can't imagine not tearing again with this little man. Anyone know of any techinques to keep from tearing? Thanks for any advice!

2. CeliaM

CeliaM Pregnant mom of 2

I second your fear (and the pain with sex!). I've heard there are oils you can get to massage in to make yourself more stretchy, but I'm afraid I can't remember what they are at the moment!

3. katieandbump

katieandbump Well-Known Member

They're called perineal massages and you can get oil for them on ebay and various diferent sites so worth looking into, i'm deffo going down this route if it helps its worth it. x

4. danni2609

danni2609 Guest

I had a 2nd degree tear and it still sore sometimes and im paranoid about the same thing i asked my friend whos a midwife and she said u wont tear any worse than last time if u tear at all as its already stretched

5. codex

codex Well-Known Member

The key is birthing slowly. The OB I used with my son I also worked with during my training and the one thing she did (and her patients rarely tore) was to birth slow. Push the OB massages the area, push again. I did not tear and had a completely natural childbirth.

6. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

You can try grapeseed oil and massage it down there to try to get things as supple as poss.

My tip is pretty much the same as codex's - when the head comes up you need to listen to the MW very carefully and only push and pant went told to. My baby's head came up very quickly according to the MWs but I hung on their every word and did EXACTLY as I was told and she said I birthed slowly from that point and it was 'text book'. I did tear but it was so tiny it didnt need stitches and I wasnt sore at all really.

x

7. MUMOF5

MUMOF5 Now a mum of 6!

I tore really badly with my first daughter, haemorraged quite badly, had internal and external stitches, but with all my subsequent births didnt even have so much as a graze! So dont be too worried, it doesnt mean you will go through the same experience this time. xx

8. lousielou

lousielou Mummy

My MW told me that a 5 minute perenium massage once a day should really cut down the risk of tearing :)

9. Janisdkh

Janisdkh Well-Known Member

I had a 4rth degree tear which is one end to another LOL it was so bad with my 1st daughter. I hemoraged and the doctor had to reach in and remove the placenta by hand because a trainee obgyn pulled the umbillicol cord leaving the placenta inside me. Thankfully I did not tear with my next two babies or had any issues.. You can massage down there with an oil I think I have read or youre doctor can do it while you are giving birth so you dont tear. The more rushy rushy they are you can tear. They rushed with my 1st because she was suppposedly with a large head and didn't want her stuck. I remember hearing them call for the head suction thing. After hearing that I pushed like no tomorrow.

10. MrsKeene

MrsKeene Mama To Princess & Prince

Thank you all so much! With my daughter i had to hold her in for 15 mins while waiting on the doctor, so she was crowning for what felt like hours. Once he got there out she popped within a minute so it was all rush. I have a new doctor with this baby and have told her my concerns. She told me the going slow will greatly help with tearing too. Thanks for all yours advice, it gives me hope it won't happen again!

11. pennysbored

pennysbored Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    I'd never make it! I'd be ALL OVER OH after that. Well, then again, whats best for baby and mommy, right? :winkwink:

12. ajarvis

ajarvis Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had 4th degree tear with her 1st daughter and none with the next. So you never know!