Teat size... so so confused!

Rainbow7

Reaction score
Hi there,

Late last week we thought it might be a good idea to try LO on size 2 teats. This is because she grazes and whilst is thriving weight wise, we were worried that she was working so hard for so little reward an also wanted to see if she might drink more in a sitting, whether she would maybe start to go longer inbetween feeds. Basically her wind, which had gone very early on, when she was only a few weeks ago, came back FULL FORCE!!! We had a horrendous few nights and days. She is nearly 10 weeks old. Then following advice, last night we got some vari flow teats for Tommee Tippee. Last night was amazing and she only woke twice during night and even went three and a half hours between feeds!!!! Know this is probably not very much to anyone else but to us it was amazing as she normally wakes every two hours. Anyway, today she seems really REALLY windy again and is screaming in pain with wind!!!!

What do we do????? Feel so sorry for her that we have caused this pain by changing teats :( Do we persevere or go back to ones???? Genuinely don't know what to do..............

Any advice would be so appreciated xxxxx

We are in a similar situation with our LO.
She is 16 weeks and on stage two teats. We moved her onto stage 2 teats when she was about 8 weeks old when we moved her onto comfort milk which was much thicker, so needed the bigger teat. I bought some avent variflow teats as I spotted some in boots a few weeks back we tried them she hated them screamed, got hysterical just couldn't get to grips with them! I also bought some number 3 teats to try instead of the vari-flow ones. Which was another waste of money... as the milk just poured down her face... and she screamed whilst feeding.. Soo we went back to the number 2s...
My LO does suffer badly with reflux and I read somewhere that the slower flow teat is better for her so for the time being I am going to stick with what she is happy with.

If your lo seemed happy with the other teats why don't you go back to them for a few weeks then try again? Your LO is still young so going between 2-3 hours on a night time is probably the norm for lots of babies... I know my LO was going between 3-4 hours at that age as well.

Thanks Sarah. We are now going back on 1s. Just get worried about her grazing but like you say, if she's happy then we should leave her on them. Would just love for her to feed more at a time and maybe go a little longer inbetween feeds as worried that she'll always graze and we'll never have any form of routine. I sometimes feel a little awkward when people ask me when she is next due a feed and I can't give an answer as she grazes several times an hour, when awake :( x

My LO is a grazer also, she will only ever take about 4oz now and then she will have 5oz and although she is quite settled in her routine it took a while to get her into one as she would like to graze inbetween feeds. My LC was a guzzler but this LO she just likes to be fed little and often......

A way I got her to take slightly more was to give her a split feed twice a day...between10am and 11:30amish and then she would have a nap and 5pm and 6pmish and then she would go down for her night time sleep...Don't feel bad when people ask when the next feed is I have learnt this time that you can't force a baby to eat if they don't want to, I know I wouldn't like to be forced to eat at set times.. :)

We are in a similar situation with our LO.
She is 16 weeks and on stage two teats. We moved her onto stage 2 teats when she was about 8 weeks old when we moved her onto comfort milk which was much thicker, so needed the bigger teat. I bought some avent variflow teats as I spotted some in boots a few weeks back we tried them she hated them screamed, got hysterical just couldn't get to grips with them! I also bought some number 3 teats to try instead of the vari-flow ones. Which was another waste of money... as the milk just poured down her face... and she screamed whilst feeding.. Soo we went back to the number 2s...
My LO does suffer badly with reflux and I read somewhere that the slower flow teat is better for her so for the time being I am going to stick with what she is happy with.

If your lo seemed happy with the other teats why don't you go back to them for a few weeks then try again? Your LO is still young so going between 2-3 hours on a night time is probably the norm for lots of babies... I know my LO was going between 3-4 hours at that age as well.

I know this is an old post but my daughter is exactly the same apart from no reflux we on comfort milk for constipation getting frustrated with teat size 2 so trying variflow last few days with not much success to the extent she got herself hysterical so thinking back the teat 2 for now

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->