Teeth and gum pain/discomfort?

Skywalker

Reaction score
Hi ladies! I don't remember having this in my pregnancy with my son but my teeth and gums are so constantly uncomfortable and at times painful. I'm more sensitive to heat and cold and just seem to be more sensitive in general. I did have pregnancy gingivitis with my son's pregnancy towards the end but as I'm only a little over 4 weeks pregnant right now, this seems a bit early (and annoying. Don't want to go through the whole pregnancy like this). Anyone have successful tips, tricks, helpful things to do to make it not so bad? Thanks!:shrug:

I had this with my son, but it didn't kick in until much later. Rinsing w warm salt water a few time a day helped a little.

I've also had this happen outside of pregnancy, coming out of the blue and lasting for a few days. My dentist said it can be caused by viruses. Again, the only real "treatment" is the salt water rinsing and avoiding acidic or scratchy foods. He also said to let him know if it ever lasted more than a few days.

I had this with my son, but it didn't kick in until much later. Rinsing w warm salt water a few time a day helped a little.

I've also had this happen outside of pregnancy, coming out of the blue and lasting for a few days. My dentist said it can be caused by viruses. Again, the only real "treatment" is the salt water rinsing and avoiding acidic or scratchy foods. He also said to let him know if it ever lasted more than a few days.

Excellent, thank you! I will try that right now <3

I have this too, and it started around the same time! My mother is a hygienist so I asked her what might be best. She said to make sure I'm using a soft-bristled brush when I brush 2x a day. She also recommended making a simple paste of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Rub that on your problem areas, let it sit a few minutes and then rinse and spit with plain water. Hope it helps!

I was told that gums are more inflamed with pregnancy hormones especially if your prone to gum problems normally. Interdental brushes and flossing daily is also a good idea as well as the salt water mouth rinses .

I'm experiencing the discomfort as well. I can do the cold and hot, it's more ongoing discomfort. Started during week 9 for me.

This usually happens to people who have gum/teeth problems before they became pregnant. That's why it's always advised to see your dentist before TTC.

You need to brush, and FLOSS! This is so important. It doesn't matter how painful it is. You should also be seeing your dentist to have any plaque & tartar removed. This is the stuff that causes inflammation on your gums.

Buffy - I don't normally have teeth problems and never had gum problems before. I saw my dentist for a cleaning three weeks ago and all is well. My gums aren't bleeding when I brush and they're not painful. It's more of an itchy discomfort feeling.

Yeah, pregnancy can definitely bring on its own set of issues regardless of your preexisting dental health and habits. It is very important to keep up with brushing and flossing even if it causes discomfort or bleeding.

I'm a dental assistant and have only ever seen it in patients that had pre-existing issues. That's why I said its "usually" in people who have issues already. Not "everyone" :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->