Teething or cold? Advice/help?????

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by mumof1+1, Jan 30, 2011.

1. mumof1+1

mumof1+1 Mommato#4beauties

My son is just over 5 months old. For the past 11 days he has had a snotty nose which gradually seems to get worse but then seems to get better and come back, I'll explain better. When it started it was a sniffle, nothing major. I had him weighed and mentioned it but nothing really got said (it was busy) then on Tuesday he had his last set of jabs. These were 6 weeks later than they should have been due to xmas and new year and then getting an appointment. He seems to have coped with them quite well but the snottyness seems to have gotten a little worse the last 2 days. Saturday he missed a whole bottle coz he'd had his solids and refused the bottle he normally takes 2 hours later. He guzzled the whole of his bedtime bottle but woke at 1am for the 'missed' bottle which I had no problem with. This morning he seemed really snotty to the extent where he was even having to breath thru his mouth but he can breath thru his nose, he does while feeding and sucking his dummy but when you sit holding him he breaths thru his mouth. He hasn't got it running down his face or anything but does get crusty dry stuff up his nose on a morning. He's sleeping with his mouh closed and seems quite content. Does this sound like a cold or teething symptoms? I can't decide whether to take him to the docs or not coz even if it is a cold they wont give him anything. But 11 days...... I just want my snot free son back :wacko:

Any help or advice much appreciated

xxx

2. fluffpuffin

fluffpuffin Well-Known Member

we too have snotty nose issues right now, which actually coincide with teething this time :dohh:. to be honest, what you describe sounds more like just a cold to me. Isla tends to be quite unsettled when she's teething. your LO sounds like he's still quite content, so i wouldn't worry too much. you can try some saline nasal drops from the pharmacy or put him in the bathroom with you when you shower as the steam will help clear his nose.

does he have any teething symptoms at all? - drooling, biting hands or other items, red cheeks? My LO also had a temperature when she was teething with her first two teeth.

3. mumof1+1

mumof1+1 Mommato#4beauties

Thank you. Oh yes, he's ALWAYS chomping, on anything he can get his mouth around. He clamps down so hard sometimes he hurts (he tries to test my fingers!) and the drool....well, we wear a bib to save the clothes!!!! If he isn't chomping a rattle or teether or someone elses hands its his own. Now and then his cheeks do flare red and he does get hot. Today he has broken out screaming a couple of times for no reason, I put anbesol on his gums and he smiles again :wacko:
    Sometimes he's his normal happy self and others he gets grumpy but it doesn't last too long. I just feel so useless. I'm using a calpol vapouriser in the hall and Karvol drops on a tissue at the top of his travel cot and anbesol with the occasional calprofen if he gets too hot or grizzly. Don't think there's much else i can do but still feel useless :(

xxx

4. fluffpuffin

fluffpuffin Well-Known Member

:hugs: - sounds like he is teething then. I think you're doing the best you can to keep him comfortable. I hope it passes soon.x