Telling families/Gender hope.

Wishx

Reaction score
My OH has been amazing since we found out. He shows so much interest in the baby, how its changing, keeping healthy, and what the progression is like. He surprised me and bought me Garden of Life raw prenatals which is amazing!

One thing we keep talking about is when to tell our families, we wish we could tell people now but we want to have an ultrasound first. I'm not sure when we will have one done. I'm 6 weeks today and having my doctor confirm pregnancy on monday.
We have been talking a lot about genders, his sister has a 2yo girl so i thought it would be fun to have a boy but the more we talk about it the more we REALLY want a girl. We have been talking about baby names and girls seem so easy to name...plus the clothing is adorable!:pink:

I've had so many conversations (before I was even preg with #2) with my friends, mum, dh etc... About which gender would be nice, and I always end the conversation saying "it actually doesn't matter what the advantages of each one are because you don't get to pick!" There's no point getting your hopes up one way or another, your baby is already either a boy or girl! For me, I can see the equally lovely things about both sexes (a boy to be a best friend to my son, a girl to have "the set") beyond that it's really a moot point! Unless you're Chrissy Teigen haha.
The randomness of it is fun :)
I always want to tell people too, but personally I think it's best to force yourself to wait until at least your first scan. I told close family then and will be making a proper announcement to everyone after a hopefully successful 12w scan. I know it's hard to wait, but remind yourself that all of pregnancy is a waiting game... You're going to have to get used to waiting!! :haha: Of course tell people if you really want, but don't tell anyone you wouldn't be comfortable "untelling" if the worst should happen.
Good luck!

Be VERY careful about hoping for a certain gender, please. I was so devastated and heartbroken when I found out my first-born was going to be a girl. I felt so guilty because we tried for a baby for soooo long, and the baby was perfectly healthy and beautiful. But I cried during the ultrasound, and I cried for about a month, to be honest. I just wanted a daughter so badly, and I felt that the baby was going to be a girl. I really got my hopes up.

I really hope you get what you want, but I do think it's a good idea to try to excite yourself over the prospect of getting a son, too. As for telling family, welllllll, we always tell my family right away. My mom always knows before I tell her because she notices the changes before anyone else does! She lives with me, so she sees me every day, and there is NO hiding it for me. She also watches my kids while I am at the dr. We wait until around 9 weeks to tell my in-laws (we're not close to them, but they get mad if we tell friends first), and we tell our friends and extended family members at..... well, it varies. We had a big announcement at just 6 weeks along (right after my first ultrasound) with our first, but we've told anywhere between 6 and 15 weeks with the others. :)

You have a 50% chance of getting the gender you'd like, which are pretty good odds! A one-in-two chance you'll have your expectations met. But on the other hand, you have an equal shot at getting the gender you weren't wanting as much, and that can be tough. One thing I'd caution against is talking to too many people about which one you want. Yes, if you DO get a girl, it might make things more exciting if people know you're team pink. But if you get a boy, then you might have to deal with people offering condolences or being disappointed or acting as if it's a letdown. And when you're dealing with your own disappointment, having other people feel sorry for you is pretty tough. Talking about it with your partner is fine, or close friends, but there's a reason parents always give that response about how they don't care as long as the baby's healthy ... it's just easier and makes it easier for people to celebrate with you.

That being said, I desperately wanted a girl the first time and went through months of feeling dejected or jealous. It was really a guilty sensation. By now I love having a son to the point where I was able to feel genuinely happy at having a second boy! I never thought I'd hit that point. So no matter what, just know you're going to adore your child.

Congratulations <3
The thing to ask yourself about telling people is, if something were to (touch wood) go wrong, who would you want there to support you?
You might think of some people very close to you who you could tell now who you would like to be there no matter what and you might think of some people who you really wouldn't want involved at a hard time.
I told some close friends straight away, I tell them everything and need to be able to talk to them :) most people I waited till the 12 week scan x

I agree about not telling people you want a girl too. When my sister found out she was having her second boy, she was disappointed enough already, and everyone's reaction was like "oh...never mind" which is just horrible! Already two people gave asked me "Are you hoping for a girl this time?" And I'm only 11 weeks! I've replied "I really don't care" in as brusque a tone of voice as I can manage. I will be even sharper at shutting down any "never mind" or "that's a shame" comments if we have another boy.
When you see your baby on your first scan, you won't be thinking is it a boy or girl? You'll be thinking my God, that's my baby. And when you give birth and you hold it, you will be thinking my God that is the most beautiful baby I have ever seen. And dressing girls might be more fun, but when you're cuddling your baby or toddler or child at night and they're falling asleep in your arms or waving their little hands around smiling and laughing at you, your heart will be exploding with love no matter what the baby is wearing and what kind of bits they've got in their nappies.
Don't worry about it - and be careful with getting a "feeling" it's a girl too. It happened to my sister and I've read so many women on forums who had a feeling it was the gender they wanted and then it wasn't. There's no intuition involved in that, it's pure hope.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Tell people whenever you feel it's the right time for you. My husband always wants to spill the beans before I do, but I'm glad he's excited.

I hope that you get the little girl you're hoping for. As someone that's experienced gender disappointment, I feel I should share that I thought our first would be a girl. I was shocked and let down when I saw a penis on my anatomy ultrasound. Then the most amazing thing happened--I met my very favorite person in the entire world about four months later and I cannot imagine life being better than with my amazing little boy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->