Temp to wash baby clothes after baby was worn them?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by helski, Nov 12, 2011.

1. helski

helski Well-Known Member

All the baby clothes I've bought say wash at 40 degrees. I've been told that 40 isn't hot enough once baby has worn them as it won't kill the germs and 60 is better?

Any non-FTMs, what temp do you wash worn baby clothes at?

2. lynnikins

lynnikins Well-Known Member

they get done at 30-40 like the rest of the laundry, unless they are heavily soiled and then only the white stuff goes through at 60 with some whitener

3. Lara310809

Lara310809 Mum of 3 girls

I have only ever washed her things at 40c, and we've never had a problem. I even washed things she's poohed and been sick on at 40c. I know what people say about washing hotter in that kind of situation, but it's never proven harmful for us :shrug: My OH has even used her muslins to polish his shoes :dohh: But they've never had more than a quick cycle at 40c

When my OH was a chef I would wash his whites at 90c, but that was for the stains, not the bacteria. Everyone takes for granted that a chef wears white, but nobody thinks about his poor wife at home that has to wash all the crap off them at the end of the day :haha:

In my opinion, washing hotter is a waste of time. If you're concerned though they sell products in the shops (Napisan I think) that are supposed to disinfect as well as clean.

4. Dizzy321

Dizzy321 very proud mammy to 3!

Why would there be more germs after baby has worn them? :wacko: just a normal 40 wash

5. lynnikins

lynnikins Well-Known Member

yep get a baby friendly wash sanitiser , ( in the uk Napisan its in the baby isle with the Milton at most supermarkets in a small blue and white box ) and you will be fine

6. Buttercup84

Buttercup84 2 girls, 1 boy

I only wash bedding at 60 due to the dust mites and other than that I run one 90 degree wash a month just for machine maintenance. I think with modern detergents and machines there is no need to wash most things above 40.

7. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

40 is fine IMO. I would be scared to wash any higher incase they shrink as theyre so tiny 3mm shrinkage is noticable!

8. Jchihuahua

Jchihuahua Mummy to 3

I always wash them at 40 too.

9. AimeeM

AimeeM Mum to 3 Boys.

I wash baby things mainly on a 60 but i have germ ocd x (that is i need to feel they are super germ free to go on baby)

10. DebzD

DebzD Mummy of 2 lovely girlies

I don't think I washed any clothes higher than 40 with DD (I still had some shrinkage though - oops!!) Washing powder is so much better than it was years ago that I don't think there's any need to do it any . I did do bedding, blankets etc higher but not for any particular reason, just coz out of habit I do bedding etc higher!

11. princess_bump

princess_bump Happy Wife & Mumma!

apart from towels everything gets washed at 40 here. though her cloth would get washed higher if she'd had a tummy bug x

12. 2RockinBoys

2RockinBoys Mummy of 2 squishy boy's!

I really dislike all this scaremongering stuff that's around! I only wash all our clothes on a 40 quick wash (unless it's bedding then it's on a 90 prewash, my washing machine is very old and lowest setting is 40 :haha:) and it's never done any of us any harm. Our son is 2, and has only had 2 cold's (one last year and one at the moment) and that's because of the weather change's, not because of germs on his clothes. Baby (we're still waiting to be born!!) will have his clothes put through the same as the rest of us unless of course it's heavily soiled, then it'll get some vanish! Even if you did wash clothes to get rid of the dreaded germs, as soon as you put them on the line/radiator/tumble dryer, and away into the draw they will be covered in germs :flower:

13. m_t_rose

m_t_rose Mommy of Jacob and Julia

We wash all our clothes on cold water so not sure what setting that would be. No one here even talks about germs on clothes and even if you sterilized the babies clothes other people holding them are going to have germs. Just seems pointless to me

14. londonbump2

londonbump2 Single mummy in London!

Sounds like something my mum would say, she washes everything at at least 60 :wacko::wacko:

I'll be washing bubba's things with mine I presume (I don't know why on earth I'm supposed to wash them seperately, find it rediculous), I normally wash at 30. The only difference is that I'll be using non-bio and comfort pure instead of my usual washing powder, so might need to pop the temp up if things are marked.

Oh! I do have a 'baby wash' setting on my machine so I might try that out, just because!