Temper Tantrums at 5 Months????

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Dukechick, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Dukechick

Dukechick Wife & proud Mom of 2

We've been having a few rough last days. Cameron cries when I leave the room, he cries when I lay him down to change his diaper, seems like as long as I'm not entertaining him, he cries. He has 2 bottom teeth already, could be be getting MORE??

The thing that's really difficult, seems like if he grabs something that he's not supposed to have (like the remote, or something that shouldn't be in his mouth), and as soon as I take it away, he FREAKS!!!!! Like a little brat!! He's only 5 1/2 months old right now, so maybe he doesn't know any better?? Do I be firm with him? Or do I just let him freak out? He's been throwing himself back sometimes when he has these 'fits' sometimes too. What the hell is going on?? :wacko::wacko:

2. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

I think he's just frustrated, he's def not acting out on purpose, it's not temper tantrums it's just frustration. I think for his age the best thing you can do is redirect, if you have to take something from him give him something in it's place or take it and pick him up and go take him to play with something or look at something, talk to him. He just knows he wanted that and it's gone and now what...so he's upset, he just doesn't get that certain things he can't have, he doesn't have the ability to understand that yet. So I def don't think you should be firm with him, I mean if he can't have it he can't have it but just get him onto something else instead of letting him be all upset over it. He's also getting to the age of separation anxiety which is probably why he gets upset when you leave the room, he doesn't really get that you're coming right back and even though your not in his sight you really are still there....I'd try talking to him or if you need to get some chores done while he's away maybe put him in a carrier so he's with you? He's just getting older, getting more aware of his surroundings, getting bored easier probably, try setting him up with some toys and get him interested in something then you can sneak off to the bathroom real quick or something like that. It will get better when he gets more mobile and can get around to play with things he wants

3. NatalieW

NatalieW Well-Known Member

Isobel does this and it's pure frustration.

I keep all my radio times and give her one to destroy and that gets it out of her system!! Evenings are worse

4. faille

faille Mummy & WTT

I think that's superb advice. :thumbup:

5. Sarah+

Sarah+ Well-Known Member

I think it must be the age. I could have written your post :dohh:

6. Dukechick

Dukechick Wife & proud Mom of 2

Thank you SOOOO much ladies. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like this.

7. sapphire20

sapphire20 Olivia & Alex <3

I could have written your post aswell,im in the exact same boat!

8. sarah0108

sarah0108 Well-Known Member

same here it sounds EXACTLY like harriet x