Temping question?

athena87

Expecting #2
Reaction score
I've been temping for about 5 months. My pre ov temps are usually 96.2-96.8(my thyroid is fine by the way, just have low temps) but today my temp dropped to 95.57. Should I be concerned? I took it 3 times to be sure then used my old bbt and it was the same on there.

My Ovulation Chart

:hi: That is very low. You're right to know low temps can sometimes be related to thyroid problems, but some people just have lower temperatures as well. I'm glad your thyroid is good. :thumbup: Some women (myself included) have temps in the 96s and low 97s before ovulation and then they go to the mid-high 97s and sometimes 98s after ovulation.

I would think it might just be an odd temp. However, continue to monitor it and you may want to consider talking to a doctor if it continues to be that low.

You may know most/all of the following information but I want to make sure just for the sake of helping you! :hugs:
1. Do you temp at the same time every day? It's the most reliable if you do.
2. Do you take it without getting up or doing anything before taking it? It's best if you don't do anything before taking it.
3. Do you breathe with your mouth open when you sleep? That could cause the lower temps. That's why some women temp vaginally.
4. Have you been using the same thermometer throughout the months?
5. Do all of your charts look the same?

I assume since you used two different thermometers that it was accurate, but it still makes me question the thermometers and the method.

I looked at your FF charts. Do you usually have a 23 day cycle? It's okay for it be 23 days, but usually you will ovulate much earlier in the cycle if that's the case. For example, one website says it will probably be around cd 7-13. You did have fertile cm around cd 8-11 and HSO cp in your June cycle. I notice the positive opk came later though. How long have you been using opks? I'm not so sure it would have given you the crosshairs for June if you didn't have the positive opk in the chart because the temps are still low/close to those prior to ovulation day. It would also mean you had a 5 day lp (luteal phase). It can cause difficulties if it is under 10 days. I'm wondering if it did occur earlier, but that your temps are not reading accurately for you.

My recommendations:
1. Don't panic! I know it sounds frightening but it will be okay! :hugs:
2. Continue using the same thermometer for the rest of this cycle in the same way you have been doing it while paying attention to your temps and your lp.
3. If you have to, consider switching to a new thermometer or a new battery OR consider temping vaginally to see if your temps are the same next time (only if you have to have a next time).
4. Monitor your cm and watch for fertile cm in particular. Perhaps take opks around cd 7-13 or when you notice fertile cm to see if you do get a positive around then.
5. If on hypothetical next time your temps are still low or it appears there is not a higher shift in temps after ovulation or you still have a short lp, you might want to consider speaking with a doctor just to be safe.
6. Keep in touch. I really hope you get it all figured out. Good luck! :flower:

1. Yes I temp every morning at 6:30.
2. Yes because i normally roll over to go back to sleep after. I have my thermometer sitting on my night stand ready to go lol.
3. I don't think so, but I have allergies so I'm sure if I get stuffy I do but I didn't last night.
4. I started with one thermometer. In February I went on a trip and forgot it so I bought another and have been using it ever since because I liked it better.
5. No not all my charts look the same. I have pcos so I have months where I don't ovulate at all and have to use provera. I'm not really sure why I started so early last cycle. I have been using opk's for over a year now. But I use them ow to help pinpoint ovulation when I have ovulated in the past. I did soy isoflavones this cycle. I did them last cycle too but only at 40 mg. I had used them for a cycle earlier which I did ovulate in and had a 29 day cycle and when I used them last month I had forgotten what dosage I had used. I've been to the doctor more in this past year than I have ever been. This will be our 13th month of ttc so we shall see what happens. Thanks for your help, someone else suggested it could've been a stronger than normal estrogen surge since I had a positive opk yesterday. But we shall see if my temp goes up in the morning.

I'm sorry you've had a tough time so far. :hugs: I never would have imagined ttc would be this hard prior to trying. It's definitely not like they told us in school. :wacko:

It could have been a strong estrogen surge. I read some about soy and it is supposed to make you produce more estrogen so I think it could affect temps. I imagine it's just a odd temp and I hope it rebounds quite high in the morning! Good luck! :flower:

It only went up a little. I'm wondering if I could be subconciously subduing ovulation cause dh is out of town and gets back tomorrow lol. He left on Sunday.

Stress can delay ovulation so perhaps you're stressed enough about it that it will be delayed. I hope he gets back in time! Good luck! :flower:

You should come and join our testing/support group! We're a very supportive group! :flower: The link is in my signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->