Temping when it's cold

CheshireDucky

Reaction score
For those who temp - what do you do when it starts to get colder? I leave my thermometer out on my night table overnight to make it easier to temp when my alarm goes off. It's getting colder at night so I have my window open, which is right behind night table. The thermometer is cold to the touch when I wake up to temp.

I'm worried it might affect my temps for now. My temp was low this morning (I even took it twice to check and it just did not want to go up) but it was up three hours later after I woke back up (and yes, I know the time difference in taking it affects it but the thermometer was no longer cold to the touch at that point).

I'm wondering if I should keep it in the drawer overnight for now or maybe stash it under my pillow? The heat won't be turned on for several months.

I've never noticed a difference, personally. I live in Alaska and my upstairs floor (where the bedrooms are) are unheated, so all they get is rising warmth from the lower level. Needless to say, it gets chilly in the winter. Your body will adjust itself accordingly, and your thermometer should have no trouble (digitals are great and don't require the same warmup an old-fashioned mercury thermometer would).

That's good to know, thanks! The thermometer was really cold under my tongue so wasn't sure. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing then since it's such a set in routine now.

Hi CheshireDucky,

I have an electronic thermometer which always says "Lo" when i turn it on, this means the temperature of the room is too cold to work properly. You should place it under your tongue for a minute before you turn it on to bring it up to a normal temperature

I sleep with a fan right on me and mt therm is right next to my bed so I get this every morning!

Hi CheshireDucky,

I have an electronic thermometer which always says "Lo" when i turn it on, this means the temperature of the room is too cold to work properly. You should place it under your tongue for a minute before you turn it on to bring it up to a normal temperature

I sleep with a fan right on me and mt therm is right next to my bed so I get this every morning!

Oh, I never thought of doing that! I'll give that a try, myself. My bedroom is extremely chilly in the mornings. Mine doesn't give me a low temperature warning, but maybe I'd get some more consistent temps.

Really interesting stuff! The instructions that came with my thermometer just says Lo means the temperature is a Lo reading (it would show Hi if it were Hi, I guess fever status?).

Tomorrow morning I'll experiment with keeping it under my tongue a minute before turning it on.

Hi Dill, yeah i love my bedroom really cold - i can't sleep in heat so i get this warning constantly

This is the info i got for mine...

‘LO’ means low temperature, and not low battery – so no worries!

The reason why the thermometer shows ‘LO’ from time-to-time is because room temperature is roughly 21° C, which is too low for our basal thermometer (which can only measure down to 32°C) Remember to always place the thermometer under your tongue before you turn it on to avoid the thermometer showing LO.

Basal body temperature should be around 35.8–36.9 degrees. Any higher than this, then you probably have a fever and we therefore advise you to leave the reading for the day.

I guess it really depends on the thermometer you have but give it a go! :)

I forgot to do it this morning, but the past few days my body temperature has been really stable (for the first time since getting my IUD out), so I think mine has been doing alright despite the very cold room. :D

We have a heat wave again so it's been in the 90s which makes my room around 80. Still getting Lo, but I'll experiment when our autumn weather comes back.

Oh my gosh, that is miserable! It's going to snow just about any day now here, so our bedroom has been in the 50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->